Manager Contracts - TV Studio Business Affairs
Culver City, CA
Director, Content Protection & Anti-Piracy (Funimation)
Director, Content Protection & Anti-Piracy (Funimation)
Funimation creates extraordinary anime experiences for tens of millions of people around the world every day. For over 25 years, Funimation has been the market leader, serving a passionate fan community whenever, and wherever they want it. We deliver the best that anime has to offer across television, feature films, events, retail, merchandise and, of course, the Funimation subscription apps, which are available on 15 platforms in 47 countries. Our culture is high-energy and our approach is deeply customer-obsessed, with top talent from across the full spectrum of media, tech, gaming and entertainment. With over 400 employees in 6 countries, Funimation is rapidly expanding and looking for passionate, innovative leaders to join our team.
Funimation is an independently-operated joint venture between Sony Pictures Entertainment US, and Aniplex JP, a subsidiary of Sony Music Entertainment Japan, Inc. To learn more about Funimation, visit funimation.com and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Funimation is looking for a Director, Content Protection & Anti-Piracy to join our legal team. This Director, Content Protection & Anti-Piracy is a technically savvy, strategic thinking digital content protection / anti-piracy / brand protection professional. This role will report to Funimation's General Counsel. The ideal candidate will define and drive our global digital content protection and content security strategy and play a vital role in Funimation's efforts to combat intellectual property theft. The ideal candidate will be mission-driven, have excellent organizational skills, and have deep experience as a consensus builder with the ability to successfully and independently operate in similar environments while quickly adapting to new concepts (particularly those of a technical nature).
• Develop and execute a scalable and comprehensive global brand and digital content protection enforcement strategy
• Coordinate with Japanese licensors, third-party anti-piracy services and industry trade groups globally to increase enforcement of anti-piracy regulation
• Manage enforcement efforts on critical and high impact anti-piracy matters globally and in coordination with local/regional teams
• Craft and execute tactics and strategies to combat digital piracy through technical or legal means, focusing on major piracy sites;
• Partner with engineering team to ensure appropriate content protection practices are in place
• Lead and support teams in responding to, investigating, managing and resolving high-impact incidents and escalations around content protection and product authenticity (pircacy, counterfeit, trademark/copyright infringement).
• Closely monitor media and global events to anticipate and mitigate potential risks. Be comfortable using data to prioritize efforts and analyze trends
• Investigate incidents of pre-release leaks or other forms of copyright infringement related to Funimation Global Group distributed content;
• Draft and issue cease & desist letters concerning incidents of digital content piracy, copyright and brand infringement;
• Act as the primary liaison for Funimation with CPG, who manages and executes copyright enforcement for Sony Pictures Entertainment's Global Operations.
• At least 3 years of experience with digital content protection, anti-piracy, online investigations, or copyright matters
• J.D. Degree or Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology
• General understanding of cyber threat landscape.
• Working knowledge of domestic and international trademark and copyright law
• Familiarity with anti-piracy initiatives in the media industry
• Strong familiarity with digital content platforms, websites, applications (both legitimate and infringing), Internet research tools, and search technologies
• Familiarity with tools and technology available to protect content
• Familiarity with brand management and online marketplaces
• Working knowledge of anime is a plus, but not required
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Superior organizational, prioritization, and time management skills; ability to execute against multiple, high-priority projects, with a keen attention to detail
• Proven excellent leadership skills, with the ability to influence also in positions of no direct authority and across international teams
• Ability to work with others: You have excellent interpersonal skills. You're a good listener. You place the success of the company ahead of any particular idea. Proven ability to work across a matrixed organization
• Highly articulate and an excellent communicator, with strong influencing skills and the ability to communicate well with peers and senior executives, locally and in different regions
• Work ethic: You take initiative to make a project go well. You are equally comfortable taking personal ownership for a task as delegating it.
Funimation offers competitive compensation along with a comprehensive benefits package to include health, dental, vision, life, short & long-term disability, 401(k) with a generous company match, ongoing employee development.
Funimation is an Equal Opportunity Employer
* Sony Pictures - CA - Culver City Area & Studios
Sony Pictures' global operations encompass motion picture production, acquisition and distribution; television production, acquisition and distribution; television networks; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; and development of new entertainment products, services and technologies.