Weekend Assignment Editor / Desk Assistant
Fox Television Stations is one of the nation's largest owned-and-operated network broadcast groups, comprising 29 stations in 18 markets and covering over 37% of U.S. television homes. This includes seven duopolies in the top 10 markets: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, San Francisco, Washington, D.C. and Houston; as well as duopolies in Minneapolis, Phoenix, Orlando and Seattle.
WFLD/WPWR is seeking a dynamic Assignment Desk Manager. The Assignment Desk Manager will oversee daily operations of the assignment desk. They will manage and delegate the coverage news items for broadcast and online news media. The manager will be responsible for managing the assignment editor staff, and setting up stories for reporters on a daily basis, and assign reporters and photographers with precise attention to logistics.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to;
• Independently generate news stories within WFLD's standards and guidelines.
• Research and develop local news stories.
• Monitor wire services, emails, social media, etc. for breaking news and relative content that can be used to enhance FOX 32 newscasts.
• Independently evaluate and list newsworthy events in a computerized assignment planning files and coordinated in studio and remote news segments and event.
• Work with news team to plan coverage of news events and special coverage on various topics of interest.
• Work with Fox station group and other partners and agencies to provide video feeds and/or coordinate coverage of segments and events.
• Provide direction to field crews where necessary.
• Maintain a future file and beat check for news material.
• Work closely with newscast producers to develop vision for on air segments.
• Develop outside news sources and contacts.
• Work with the news management team on continuing efforts to upgrade the news generating ability of FOX 32.
• Must be aware of the the development and urgency of news events and have the ability to cover and translate those stories into maximum viewer interest.
• Contribute ideas to station's social media platforms, creating content and breaking news on various platforms.
• Monitors progress of stories during shift.
• Responds to viewer calls for breaking news, story ideas, and information.
• Reacts to breaking news and diverts news crews as needed.
REQUIREMENTS: A college degree in Journalism or related discipline from an accredited university or college required; a minimum of 4-7 years of experience in similar positions of progressive responsibility, at least 2 years of supervisory experience preferred, working knowledge of television ratings, advanced oral and written communication skills, working knowledge of all media platforms and broad understanding of broadcast newsroom operations and equipment, calm under pressure: the ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment. Ability to work flexible shifts, including overnights, weekends and/or holidays.