We are looking for a skilled Freelance Information Specialist whose focus is legal research. You will work closely with key members of the organization to research, analyze and break down newsworthy legal issues and cases in the news. This freelance specialist will also provide well-sourced, detailed information that confirms facts, adds context and informs our national audience.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
• Break down newsworthy court cases and legal issues into layman's terms
• Produce briefing books and backgrounders that will be distributed throughout the organization.
• Provide information for special projects and planned events like Congressional hearings, elections, and topical town halls.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
• J.D. and Bachelor's degree required
• 2+ years of experience in a research role or strong internships in a professional live news environment
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including regular weekend hours, early mornings or evenings, and holidays
• Ability to juggle multiple assignments under tight deadlines
• Research experience using PACER, Lexis-Nexis, Factiva, Accurint and other research databases.
• A strong knowledge of criminal law and procedure
• Familiarity with legal procedure and the federal court system
• Ability to interpret law and regulations in layman's terms
• Ability to clearly and concisely explain the significance of cases, including those before the US Supreme Court
• Ability to compare statutes and regulations across jurisdictions, including constructing and updating 50 state surveys on a variety of topics (marijuana, minimum wage, capital punishment, etc.)
At FOX, we foster a culture and environment where everyone feels welcome and can thrive. We are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including attracting, retaining, and promoting diverse talent across our company. We live in a diverse world, with different ideas and different perspectives that come together to spark new ideas and make great things happen. That means reflecting the diversity of the world around us is critical to our company's success. We ensure that our viewers, communities and employees feel heard, represented, and celebrated both on screen and off.
Click here to learn more about the diverse communities of people behind our brands.
Pursuant to state and local pay disclosure requirements, the pay range for this role, with final offer amount dependent on education, skills, experience, and location is: $28.61-35.00 per hour. We provide Freelancers medical/dental/vision insurance and 401k after they meet eligibility criteria and any State required time-off, in accordance with applicable plan documents. Benefits for Union represented employees will be in accordance with the applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqe5pm-35-172-165-64-42 in your application.