News Director WAVY-TV 10/WVBT FOX43 – Norfolk, VA
Nexstar seeks its next News Director for its Norfolk, Virginia duopoly of WAVY-TV (NBC) and WVBT FOX43, one of the strongest local newsrooms in the country.
The ideal candidate will be a highly experienced News Director with well-developed leadership skills who is an innovative and dynamic leader. We seek a true champion of aggressive broadcast and digital newsgathering with a proven track record of strategic, focused breaking news coverage. They must possess excellent writing skills, news and ethical judgement, strong digital content understanding, community development and a passion to be the very best. A competitive, clear communicator who genuinely enjoys staff development and teambuilding will stand out.
The News Director leads and supervises all aspects of news, weather, traffic and sports programming.
• Manages all aspects of the News Department (other than Production)
• Plans and manages staffing, training, and performance evaluations for the News Department.
• Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees.
• Develops news coverage strategy for the station and its website.
• Critiques newscasts daily to correct errors, improve coverage and provide mentoring feedback to news staff.
• Assigns projects to staff and verifies that deadlines are being communicated and met.
• Ensures achievement of viewer rating goals.
• Determines programming and evaluation of equipment needs to produce quality programming.
• Responds to coverage questions.
• Works with other senior station leaders to establish and reach station goals.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Minimum four years' experience as a news director.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
• Experience establishing long-range objectives and specifying the strategies and actions to achieve them.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Experience preparing and maintaining departmental budgets.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand employee needs and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
Please apply online at https://nexstar.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/nexstar.
Please remember to include a link to your demo reel in your cover letter or resume (required).
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gpm8v9-54-80-249-22-42 in your application.