KTXL/FOX40, the Nexstar station in Sacramento, is looking for a seasoned journalist to lead our coverage of the California State Capitol.
The ideal candidate is a political junkie who thrives on building sources, breaking down complicated topics, and helping our audience understand what is happening in their government and why it is important.
This Multi-Media Journalist will turn daily stories for our six California stations in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego, Fresno and Bakersfield. Content will emphasize legislative issues and actions of the governor, political campaigns, state agencies, laws and regulations, and other related topics. You will also contribute to our weekly statewide political program ''Inside California Politics'' and our digital and social platforms.
Essential Duties include:
• Shoots, produces, writes, edits and presents news stories and other content for all platforms in a clear and concise manner, describing the background and details of events
• Develops political sources, establishes relationships with lawmakers and state government leaders, and arranges interviews with people who can provide information about a variety of issues and topics
• Gathers information about events through research, interviews, experience or attendance at political, news, or other functions
• Researches and analyzes background information related to news stories to be able to provide complete and accurate information
• Pitches stories to News Managers and Producers that are relevant to a statewide audience
• Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
• Responds to breaking news and other urgent situations as required
• Determines a story's emphasis, length and format, and organizes material accordingly
• Revises work to meet editorial approval or to fit time requirements
• Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
• Writes content for the website and other digital platforms
• Interacts with viewers/users on social media sites
• Reports live and edits video clips as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
• Minimum five years of experience in news reporting or anchoring
• Superior on-air presence
• Bachelor's degree in Broadcast Journalism, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required
• Fluency in English
• Excellent news judgment with an expansive knowledge of local and national current events, history, news makers and issues
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
• Experience with Adobe Premiere and ENPS desirable
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record
• Flexibility to work any shift
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rz6051-3-238-24-209-42 in your application.