KTXL-FOX40, the Nexstar station in Sacramento, seeks an experienced Assignment Desk Manager with outstanding news instincts, a passion to win and the organizational and problem-solving skills to elevate our daily coverage.
The ideal candidate knows how to dig deeper, brings an investigative mindset to our content-gathering.
You should have the expertise to deploy our resources with maximum effectiveness and efficiency, while motivating our team to break news, build sources and up their game.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Oversee Assignment Desk operations, with a focus on always being a step ahead and ready for any challenge
• Supervise Assignment Editors, providing specific direction and feedback
• Bring additional structure and accountability to our newsgathering
• Organize the daily ''news-discovery'' process by pro-actively searching for ideas, while helping others do the same
• Cast a wide net for relevant, timely content, encouraging a culture of curiosity
• Collaborate with others to make daily content choices and assignments, including scheduled events, spot news and enterprise stories
• Assist in the planning of future coverage, whether the next day, next week or next month
• Guide our journalists on all platforms in researching, vetting and developing stories, both day-of and for later air/publication
• A rrang e and supervis e video feeds from a variety of sources; utilize various file-sharing platforms to gather video
• Scrutinize local and regional resources, media and professional contacts for potential stories
• Effectively monitor local law enforcement and public safety agencies for breaking stories and other newsworthy information
• Find user-generated content and secure permission for use, while following and communicating Rights and Clearances restrictions
Skills & Requirements:
• College degree with several years of major market experience, preferably local
• Strong logistical skills and the ability to effectively navigate the local and regional area
• Must be decisive, forward-thinking and possess excellent news judgment, with emphasis on stories that are interesting and compelling on television
• Strong organizational skills, able to multi-task under extreme deadline pressure
• Excellent communicator, both verbal and written
• Competitive, with a sense of urgency, setting the tone and pace of Assignment Desk operations
• Working knowledge of the issues, lifestyles and cultures that are unique to the Sacramento market
• Familiarity with local and state government from cities and counties to California agencies, departments and bureaucracy
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmw5w6-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.