Full-time Digital Reporter
KNWA & FOX24, the NBC & FOX affiliates in Fayetteville, Arkansas, are looking for an aggressive, innovative, creative and dynamic Digital Reporter to help take our product to the next level!
Do you love breaking news and investigative reports?
Does a killer headline and a high KPI really get you going?
Are you willing to dig into a stack of documents to take readers further into the story?
Do you live for the thrill of finding a new way to make a digital piece pop?
If so - you could be the right person for this job! We need a skilled writer who can write daily digital content with eye-catching headlines, craft valuable and relevant content to drive engagement, and use data to make audience trend decisions. Social media chops are also a strong plus -- we want to win across every platform!
Above all, we're looking for someone with an optimistic outlook and a winning attitude.
If interested, apply online now online or email resume and work examples to News Director Lisa Brence at email@example.com and Digital Media Manager Ben Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Northwest Arkansas is a rapidly growing and vibrant community filled with rolling hills, rivers, lakes and Fortune 500 company headquarters. Our population just crossed 500k and is rising. Why? Because high-end business industries are here and they are bringing in some of the best talent in their fields, cost of living is low, quality of living is high and we fill up our days/nights with world-class museums, performing arts centers, major sporting venues, amazing concerts, fantastic foodie destinations and tons of community-centric events.
In fact, US News ranks Fayetteville the fourth best place to live in the country: http://realestate.usnews.com/places/arkansas/fayetteville
Our newsroom is forward-thinking and built on a strong emphasis of positive reinforcement, feedback, growth and development of talent and a desire to win. We are consistently winning awards from our local audiences for our commitment to our community and our service-centered sense of duty. Whether you are looking for a place to settle in or a place to equip yourself and launch into that ''big step'' – we have a proven track record of providing both outcomes.
KNWA-TV/KFTA-TV is an equal opportunity employer.
• Responsible for evaluating stories; organizing them into a cohesive sequence within a newscast or digital content for the web
• Contribute to the editorial process and make solid decisions in breaking news situations
• Execute strategies that engage and grow audiences across all media devices
Requirements & Skills:
• Report news quickly and accurately
• Craft original content that stands out from competition
• Collaborate with local and regional staff to find angles that resonate in the community
• Find ways to share reporting responsibilities across markets and topics as needed
• Understand types of stories that drive traffic on the web
• Work with management to deliver a content mix that reflects the needs of our audience
• Develop expertise and sources in key audience interest areas
• Shoot photos and video as needed to tell stories in multiple ways
• Utilize social media for reporting and story promotion
Skill/ Experience Requirements
• 2 years of experience creating content for the web preferred
• Knowledge of AP style
• Bachelor's Degree
• Enjoys working in teams and is a strong communicator
• Ability to quickly learn new things and adapt to change
• Thrives under pressure and able to meet deadlines
• Self-motivated and competitive
• Comfortable setting up and executing interviews with local sources
• Ability to be fast and first at breaking news on the web
• Able to deliver multiple stories for the web each day on a wide range of topics
• Familiar with contact information for various agencies to obtain information as quickly as possible.
• Understand social media's importance in reporting stories and delivering traffic
• Some schedule flexibility (nights, weekends)
• Regularly meets measurements of success
• Proficiency in MS Office a must; HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience a plus
This reporter will spend time at the start of the shift reviewing story ideas and looking over their own sources for ideas. After coordinating with digital leadership for a list of expected daily stories, the reporter will begin writing and communicating updates. Social media updates, videos and monitoring of breaking news should be incorporated seamlessly into the shift.
Measurements of success:
• Deliver stories quickly, accurately, and often
• Provide a central role in story idea discovery and generation for the local and regional team
• Consistently seek to grow audience to your bylined stories
• KPI: 4-5 stories published daily, +10% PV to byline
• Grow your social media base and regularly promote links to stories
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rvpj8w-3-237-29-69-42 in your application.