KARK, the NBC affiliate, and Fox16 in Little Rock, Arkansas, are looking for an aggressive, intelligent, and creative meteorologist that understands there's nothing more important than alerting viewers about severe weather. The successful candidate will be a great communicator who can describe complex weather situations in a clear, concise, and compelling manner. The candidate will develop innovative ways to present the forecast with an emphasis on accuracy. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience covering severe weather situations.
Candidates must have a proven track record of utilizing the station website and social media platforms to keep viewers informed.
Ideal candidates will have some experience reporting and doing live reports. Attendance at community and weather-related events will be required.
Above all, we're looking for someone with an optimistic outlook and a winning attitude. Applicants should have a minimum of two years' experience as an on-air meteorologist, a BS/BA in Meteorology and AMS Seal (CBM preferred). Experience with WSI TruVu MAX/MAX Storm helpful.
Please include resume and reel with application!
• Produces and presents weather reports for all platforms.
• Ensures that all weather content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality.
• Writes and delivers weather stories in a clear and concise manner.
• Assists in writing, copy editing, researching and coordinating weather programming and other content.
• Responds to breaking and/or severe weather events and other urgent newsrooms situations as required.
• Works closely with the weather team to develop comprehensive weather coverage.
• Participates in promotional activities including public appearances.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned.
• Writes web stories detailing the local forecast on a daily basis.
• Digital-first mindsett.
• Strong social media presence.
Requirements & Skills:
• Bachelor's degree in Meteorology, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience.
• Fluency in English.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written with the ability to ad lib when required.
• Minimum five years' experience in weather reporting or anchoring. (More or less depending on market size.)
• Superior on-air presence.
• Experience guiding, directing and motivating others.
• Ability to identify the developmental needs of others and to coach, mentor or otherwise help others to improve their knowledge or skills.
• Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment.
• Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to effectively listen to fully understand problems and communicate with a team to shape a solution.
• Strong understanding of the field of meteorology and a proven track record of forecasting.
• Valid driver's license with a good driving record.
• Flexibility to work any shift.