The Undefeated is the premier platform for exploring the intersections of race, sports and culture. We enlighten and entertain with innovative storytelling, original reporting and provocative commentary. Not conventional. Never boring.
The Senior Editor for News will play a role in managing the editorial content of The Undefeated, assisting the Managing Editor in implementing editorial strategy. The Senior Editor's principal duties will include coordinating and driving the site's daily coverage, running daily content meetings, and ensuring the quality, timeliness, topicality and The Undefeated uniqueness of the content published. The Senior Editor will be based at the The Undefeated's Washington headquarters and play an essential role in enforcing workflow and other practices that are necessary for a functioning newsroom. The Senior Editor will also act as a liaison to ABC News and all ESPN platforms as well as outside media sites in developing partnerships and major projects.
The preferred location is DC, however we may be open to CT, LA or NY.
• Key role overseeing the daily content being produced and published on The Undefeated.
• Conceive and assign daily articles and other content.
• Help generate content that resonates and upholds The Undefeated's mission
• Work with the audience development, research, social and product teams to help build audience and continually improve the site.
• At least six years of experience in print or digital journalism, at least half of which has been as an editor.
• Experience line-editing news, features and projects, as well as social media.
• Familiarity with quantitative journalism and statistical analysis (such as sabermetrics).
• Three years of experience managing and evaluating staff members.
• Ten years of experience in print and digital journalism, including five years as an editor, at a recognized national or regional publication or website.
• Demonstrated expertise in editing news and features, along with several major projects, with an emphasis on quantitative journalism. Editing and reporting experience should also include some sports, economics, or cultural news.
• A background in social media, and a proven understanding of the technical and product aspects of running a website.
• Bachelor's Degree in journalism, communications, online/multimedia or related field and a minimum of 7 years' direct professional editorial and/or reporting experience OR a high school diploma and a suitable* combination of related training and experience
• Well versed in African-American history
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gp1zke-18-204-2-146-42 in your application.