Andscape is a Black media platform dedicated to creating, highlighting, and uplifting the diverse stories of Black identity. Magnified by the power and reach of ESPN and The Walt Disney Company, the Andscape umbrella includes an editorial division, book publishing arm, film and television division, and music publishing group – each united by the shared mission of illuminating the culture and experience of Blackness. Founded in 2022, Andscape is a reimagination, expansion and diversification of The Undefeated's former platform.
Andscape is seeking a Senior Editor for culture coverage, working with our staff, freelance writers and other platforms to expand the breadth and impact of our storytelling, both at ESPN and with other arms of the Walt Disney Co. This individual will work closely with writers and assist senior editorial staff with any and all editorial needs to produce compelling stories in multiple forms, from text to video, from daily pieces off the news to long-term features, from live events to television specials. This position requires proficient knowledge of social media, outstanding interoffice and communication skills, and comfort in working across many units at ESPN and the Walt Disney Company. We are looking for a creative mind who will think outside the box to continue to lift our culture brand. The ideal candidate would be deeply knowledgeable and current on pop culture.
• Edit writers and other producers of culture content.
• Generate a consistent stream of ideas for features, columns, digital videos, social media, linear TV and ESPN + that are appropriate for amplification and/or collaboration with other departments at ESPN and the Walt Disney Company.
• Be able to build a story package with appropriate photos, headlines, tags, notifications and any other requirements for publishing.
• Both lead and participate in regular meetings with colleagues in a productive manner.
• Work effectively to manage writers located in different parts of the country.
• Expand the roster of outside writers and other content creators producing work on culture for Andscape and ESPN.
• Minimum of 4 years of editorial experience as an editor or writer for an online publication.
• Is a self-starter capable of managing a heavy workload with excellent time management skills.
• Has solid communication skills, and experience working in a cross-functional team.
• Has high degree of competence in writing, editing and reporting.
• Has strong understanding of current events.
• Has strong understanding of some or all major areas of popular culture.
• Has a basic appreciation and knowledge of all sports.
• Has solid news journalism experience and news judgment.
• Has understanding of HTML and related Web-authoring tools and software.
• Has strong English grammar and excellent organizational skills.
• Well versed in African-American history
• An interest in all aspects of Black culture, especially music, fashion, literature, the visual arts
• Minimum of 4 years of editorial experience, including managing editorial packages from conception to publication
• Experience working with both staff and freelance writers
• Has good understanding of the market positioning and strategies of digital and streaming content delivery
• Has fluency in electronic newsgathering techniques
• High School Diploma and Equivalent
• Bachelor's Degree in Communications or related field
This role is considered hybrid, which means the employee will work a portion of their time on-site from a Company designated location and the remainder of their time remotely.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rz6k53-18-205-176-39-42 in your application.