Our researchers play a foundational role in the ESPN investigative and enterprise journalism teams. Whether assisting with reporting on longform stories, researching potential stories, or fact-checking stories to protect the credibility of our journalism brand, the researcher is a key entry role in the editorial group.
Fact-checking and research tasks will be one core element of the position, protecting the credibility of the brand by ensuring the accuracy of our content, no matter the platform. In the case of legally sensitive stories, the researcher will be responsible for making critical decisions, working with sources and with writers and assigning editors to verify the accuracy of sourcing and information. To be successful requires independent and critical thinking skills, and resourcefulness.
Reporting assignments may include gathering info for deep data dives, and assisting more senior writers/editors with reporting on larger features or special projects.
Generating story ideas, attending editorial planning and pitch meetings, and staying abreast of the news and current trends among sports fans and athletes will all be elements of this role, which is both creative and detail-oriented.
This role is Part Time, 29 hours / week.
• Rigorously fact-check editorial content in accordance with editorial guidelines.
• Perform original research and reporting for multiplatform stories, long-term and special projects. Do supplemental data gathering on select assignments as needed.
• Participate in story development and brainstorming idea meetings with editors.
• One year of professional experience in journalism or a related field.
• Bachelor's Degree (or related experience) in journalism or a related field.
• Prior fact-checking / reporting experience at a major circulation media outlet.
• Passion for sports.
• Experience in public records' research and resources.
• Knowledge of basic libel law.
• Understanding of advanced sports metrics and analytics.
• Facility with the Internet and knowledge of what sites are reliable and authoritative.
• Understanding of media ethics and journalism standards.
• Bachelor's Degree in related field
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d28765-3-236-212-116-42 in your application.