We're looking for the right combination of distinctive vision, editorial judgment, creative writing/storytelling skills, and high emotional intelligence. The Digital Audio Producer will have a love for sports, great audio storytelling and possess a hunger for doing something new. You will have both the ability to understand the vision for the program and evangelize that vision to others. You excel at pushing beyond what others think is possible.
The Digital Audio Producer will play an integral leadership role in executing the day-to-day editorial and production vision for the flagship ESPN Daily Podcast. Every weekday, this premium original content offers depth, insight and an original, enterprising approach to sports journalism. Top candidates for this role will demonstrate curiosity, a strong work ethic, exceptional journalistic/reportorial instincts, a thorough knowledge of sports, and creative production technique. The role requires an experienced producer with a creative and inclusive approach to storytelling who can shape the vision and execution of an ambitious new daily sports podcast. The ideal candidate is a talented writer/storyteller who has a proven track record for producing high-quality narrative content, innovation, problem-solving and is experienced working in a deadline-oriented environment. The Producer plays a critical role in planning and pre-production; taking the lead in building timely, relevant episodes while also being nimble enough to cover breaking news on next-day turnarounds. Consistently creates innovative, original and enterprising content for every segment and episode.
This position is CA based but may be open to alternate locations.
ESPN Daily is an award-winning podcast that works with the entire ESPN reporting team. More narrative than news, ESPN Daily brings fans the biggest stories in sports everyday as told by the best sports journalists and storytellers on the planet.
• Participates in editorial planning of daily sports feature podcast, including outlining program elements, and selection/booking of contributors and guests.
• Collaborates with producers and editors across ESPN teams to ensure the depth and breadth of ESPN reporting and storytelling is represented in the program.
• Monitors ESPN content, national and regional sports news, websites, newspapers, publications, mail, email, pitches, and newswires for story ideas, developments and background.
• Reports, produces and creates exceptional quality program segments and episodes that are consistent with the content, quality and production standards and practices of ESPN.
• ''Thinks deep'' by producing enterprising sports-related stories and features that go beyond the headlines and typical sports reporting.
• Works with the Senior Managing Producer to edit the show for length, editorial content, and timeliness.
• Books contributors, guests and interviews.
• Manages recording and remote studio logistics.
• Researches library assets to find audio resources associated with interview or segment topic.
• Edits segments and/or raw tape of reporter and source interviews in Adobe Audition.
• Pitches stories.
• Pre-interviews reporters and sources.
• Works with host, producers and editors on interview direction, strategy and technique.
• Builds stories using interviews, archive materials, natural sound and music.
• Works with audio engineer to finalize technical aspects of the show.
• Participates in daily and weekly editorial meetings.
• Coordinates aspects of pre-production, post-production, and program distribution.
• Contributes show metadata, title, and uploads episodes as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Minimum of 4 years of radio/audio production experience with strong journalistic/editorial instincts and background as a creative writer / storyteller / producer.
• In-depth knowledge of a wide range of subject areas related to sports.
• Strong familiarity with ESPN content across all platforms.
• Curiosity; interest in sports and beyond.
• Smart conversationalist with outstanding writing, editing and interview skills.
• Extensive knowledge of podcasting and digital audio industry.
• Thorough understanding of how to operate audio hardware, software and facilities.
• Demonstrated digital editing expertise using Adobe Audition audio editing software.
• Knowledge of Descript audio software helpful.
• Ability to work varied shifts.
• Ability to work quickly and efficiently under deadline pressure.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Thrives in team setting.
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Bachelor's Degree in related field
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gx8vmq-34-204-172-188-42 in your application.