The Associate Editor Audience Engagement, ESPN Mobile Apps will be primarily responsible for curation and maintenance of the ESPN App and ESPN Fantasy App content feeds, and writing and delivery of ESPN's editorial push notifications.
On a daily basis, this person will assess content from a variety of sources (stories, videos, streams, scores) to determine how it fits into our daily news coverage and programming needs. The editor evaluates all sport page copy, headlines, art and video and works to package this content in a manner that is dynamic enough to entice users to delve deeper into the site. This editor will also have shifts where they send push notifications to ESPN's array of sports fans, oftentimes to multiple millions of fans at a time and at reasonably fast speeds compared to our competitors. Must be an excellent writer, able to present and share headlines and stories accurately in tight spaces.
This position will require working a mix of nights and weekends. Location preferred to be Los Angeles, CA but would be open to Bristol, CT.
• The Associate Editor will be responsible for the curation of content across highly visible area, including navigation points.
• The Associate Editor will assess content across multiple formats (stories, videos, streams, scores) and write accurate and compelling alerts for that news or content using audience engagement strategies and news judgment.
• Along with the daily programming roles, the Associate Editor can be involved in short and long-term editorial planning, creating programming strategies specifically tailored to the content and audience consumption patterns.
• The Associate Editor will collaborate and communicate with content partners on daily programming plans, taking into account priorities across departments.
• The Associate Editor is accountable for presenting accurate information across feeds, responding quickly to breaking news and testing headlines, as necessary.
• Minimum of 1 year of working in a high-level media environment.
• Possess working knowledge of all sports, including fantasy and sports betting. This includes not just on-field expertise, but a knowledge of the cutting-edge thoughts, trends and writers covering the sport.
• Understand and follow closely the latest in fan engagement data and key performance metrics to optimize content creation and distribution to fans.
• Strong understanding and appreciation of news and story play.
• Excellent headline writing skills.
• Work quickly and juggle multiple varied tasks during a typical work day.
• Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Experience in online media content preparation. Applicants must have the ability to work in a rapidly changing online environment and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Sports takes place on nights, weekends and holidays -- and those shifts will be regular and required.
• Have a background or quickly become competent in HTML.
• High School degree required
• B.S./B.A. degree in communication arts, journalism or new media or equivalent combination of education experience
The hiring range for this position in Los Angeles, CA is $57,810.00 - $77,550.00 per year based on a 40-hour work week. The amount of hours scheduled per week may vary based on business needs. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate's geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gmy0x2-44-197-101-251-42 in your application.