Engineering at Epic
What we do
Unreal-powered projects have been on the bleeding edge of real-time entertainment for over 20 years. Our team of engineering experts are always innovating to improve the tools and technology that empower content developers worldwide.
What you'll do
We're looking for Tools/Generalist Programmers passionate about developing a world-class, AAA game engine and development tools. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and be able to design and implement new engine features and pipeline tools with little to no direction. You should have an endless list of ideas for improving the game development pipeline and adding exciting new features to the engine. You will make a direct impact on the productivity of others by developing user-facing tools for one of the leading game engines used by developers across the world.
In this role, you will
• Design and implement tools and engine features for Unreal Engine
• Design and implement user interfaces for the editor
• Fix bugs and maintain the Unreal Engine code base
• Analyze and fix common problems in a game engine such as load times, memory usage, and performance problems
• Support external customers by answering their requests and questions
What we're looking for
• Excellent C++ skills
• Experience writing tools that improve the user experience of the consumer of the tool or that add some obvious value to game development or similar field
• Well versed in software engineering principles
• Experience writing UIs with a toolkit such as WPF, QT, Slate (UE UI system)
• Familiarity with an existing game engine with an understanding of game engine and editor concepts
• Familiarity with multiple platforms and/or Unreal Engine is a plus
• Experience developing in a large codebase; ideally experience designing and implementing a tool from the ground up
• Demonstrated ability to communicate fluently in English (written and verbal)
• Someone who is user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do.