Data Management at Epic
What you will do
Epic Gaming is looking for a Technical Librarian as part of our Data Management and Pipeline teams. This role will primarily support our R&D and Production departments within the Digital Humans Initiative. This position is suitable for anyone looking for an mid-level route into the gaming industry, particularly into a Production role.
The Technical Librarian role will be the first dedicated member of the newly formed Data Management team. They will be instrumental in ensuring that all content is managed in the most efficient manner to ensure that the right content is brought online in a timely and technically appropriate manner, to identify opportunities to improve practices / workflows and to provide a consistent approach to management of all data.
They will manage data across all sites and shoot locations associated with DHI, this includes receiving and delivering all project elements, transcoding and converting files as needed, placing files received and generated on appropriate storage, safely archiving, maintaining usable space on a facility wide centralized servers and optimise workflows.
This role is an exciting opportunity to establish best practices from the ground up. It will have a wide view across the company, crossing over with our latest R&D work and helping our Producers to deliver client projects.
In this role you will
• Maintain an overview of all data for DHI, acting as it's gatekeeper and being the go to person for all things related to it
• Ensure that all assets are managed in a consistent way and organised to be readily accessible
• Bringing data online from a variety of external sources (internal shoots, outside facilities, portable drives, cloud-based servers)
• Transcoding and converting files (i.e. manipulating file format, aspect ratio, frame rate, color space)
• Maintain understanding of upcoming shoots / data creation and tagging appropriate metadata on ingest
• Allow data / assets to become available to others. Pulling data selects for various groups throughout the company
• Monitoring, tracking and transferring data throughout the facility for each project
• Restoration of project data based when required
• Building and maintaining close working relationships with Production and users of the archive2
What we're looking for
• Knowledge of common data transfer protocols eg. FTP
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to respectfully interact with co-workers at all levels in a professional environment
• Demonstrate the ability to use initiative when problem-solving
• Ability to use Microsoft's Windows, Linux, or MAC OSX workstations in a professional environment
• Able to accept criticism and feedback
• Basic understanding / demonstrable interest in, gaming, visual effects, color grading and computer graphic concepts and terminology
• Aptitude for learning new software is essential for this role and appropriate training can be provided where necessary
• Problem solving skills and the ability to show initiative and proactively engage in implementing solutions when appropriate.
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team and without direct supervision
• Technical Aptitude
• Planning & Organising
• Previous experience using media asset management systems, managing both content and metadata or other relevant information management experience
• Previous experience as a Project Manager / Production Assistant
• Previous experience as a Data / Render Wrangler
• Previous experience working on set/location/studios
• Previous experience of working in a customer focused environment
• Basic knowledge of transcoding and converting video formats/codecs/file formats/frame rates
• Basic understanding of computer networking
• Working knowledge of DOS shell command line navigation
• Working knowledge of server mount points and mapping of centralized storage in a multi-platform server based environment
• Awareness of copyright and rights issues
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d88m39-34-236-187-155-42 in your application.