What You'll Do
Epic Games and the Unreal Engine development team are looking for a seasoned Virtual Production Technical Artist to push the boundaries of virtual production technology workflows in animation, visual effects, and traditional filmmaking.
As a Technical Artist focused on Virtual Production, you will play a key role in guiding the development of Unreal Engine for use in live entertainment, broadcast and linear content creation – using your industry expertise to identify the needs of creatives, prototype upcoming features, and provide hands-on support for productions both internal and external.
This position requires a person with a unique combination of artistic, technical, and practical skills who is ready to take on bleeding-edge challenges and help shape the future of real-time Virtual Production.
In This Role You Will
• Work closely with external customers to deliver industry-leading projects that utilize Unreal Engine and real-time technology to the fullest.
• Act as the direct link between Unreal Engine users and the development team - visit studios and embed with productions as needed to help them learn and do what it takes to succeed.
• Apply experience and knowledge to help optimize Unreal Engine deployment for virtual production, linear content creation, and live-broadcast workflows in real-world situations.
• Clearly understand production requirements and translate them into recommendations for both external customers and internal Unreal Engine development.
• Identify bottlenecks and limitations in Unreal Engine pipeline and tools, and help to design and implement solutions.
• Prototype tools and features to address the needs of large-scale productions, and work with engineering teams to grow these prototypes into full-fledged engine features.
• Act as a hands-on stage operator for internal productions utilizing motion capture, in-camera visual effects, and other technologies..
• Provide technical art support to internal projects ranging from editor tools to sequencer-based shot construction and niagara effects.
• Travel as needed when safety allows.
What We're Looking For
• Direct Virtual Production experience with Unreal Engine on real world projects.
• Strong understanding of multiple aspects of the Unreal Editor including the creation of sophisticated Editor Blueprints, Sequencer workflows, LiveLink, and nDisplay.
• Expertise in film & television or live-broadcast practices and processes.
• Expertise with body and facial motion capture, live camera tracking, data recording, virtual cameras, or in-camera visual effects.
• Ability to communicate complex technical issues to engine developers and product managers.
• Desire to both teach others and learn new techniques, becoming the industry expert on new features and practices as they arise.
Nice To Have Skills
• Basic C++ literacy is a plus.
• Domain knowledge of layout/environment assembly, animation, lighting, or look development is a plus.
• Openness to speak at one-to-many situations such as trade shows, Epic Dev Days, presentations at developer studios, etc.
• Willingness to travel.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d817v9-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.