Online Engineering at Epic
Epic Games is growing operations inside our development teams to support operations of our large-scale, highly available, secure, online services and infrastructure behind Epic Games and products. The person in this role will work closely with software engineering, customer service, quality assurance, community, and product teams to provide online services that enhance the user experience for all of Epic's systems.
Epic Games is looking for an experienced Cloud Development Engineer with focus on platform control automation tooling. This position is in North America on our Infrastructure Platform team that builds internal cloud services, provides the glue between multiple infrastructure tools, and offers build and release tooling and workflows to empower development teams across the company. Their mission is to bring next generation tools and practices to game development industry-wide.
You will help evolve and mature our state of the art large scale cloud native infrastructure foundation for our digital ecosystem that consists of Epic Online Services, Epic Games Store, Unreal Engine Web Presence and our own internal games.
• Collaborative globally distributed team
• Work from home (during COVID-19)
• Own outcomes oriented work
• Hold technology vision
• Uncover new ideas
• Work with service owners, producers and other cloud, infrastructure and embedded DevOps engineers to codify and model existing workflows and processes into standardized tooling used by Epic development teams.
• Leverage emerging cloud native technologies to provide self-service workflows that enable development teams to build, test, release, scale and support online games and services continuously with high confidence.
• Build applications to provide visibility and control of complex release workflows and deployments at scale.
• You have proven abilities to complete full projects of a scope/complexity larger than a single individual end-to-end feature.
• Help operate Epic's cloud platform, provide service owner support, decrease issue resolution times and participate in an on call rotation.
• Contribute to shaping the future platform product vision and roadmap.
• Mentor other team members through technical guidance and code reviews, follow industry trends and maintain a strong interest in emerging technology and best practices.
• Ability to design systems that cleanly integrate with legacy and emerging technologies.
• Practical hands-on experience with Software product development life cycle and delivering Software to consumers.
• Love building tools and productizing services that empower development teams.
• Hands-on working knowledge of AWS and cloud infrastructure.
• You have created architecture for a service running in AWS that serves businesses or the public at scale
• You provided input on which underlying AWS services to use for a value added solution
• You have used AWS services, including: DynamoDB, RDS; EC2, EKS; S3, SNS, SQS; ACM, Route 53; AWS Config, IAM, and others
• Deep domain expertise as Kubernetes developer: You wrote a Kubernetes controller that is used on live production clusters; You validated and corrected Kubernetes cluster configuration; You secured and hardened a Kubernetes cluster for production use; You operated Kubernetes clusters with mission critical publicly facing applications at scale; You explored and are familiar with service meshes (Istio, Linkerd, Amazon AWS AppMesh) and secure service to service communications (MTLS); You have hands-on experience with Docker containerization
• Experience building applications by writing code in multiple languages (Go, Python): You have written multiple Go applications that are used in a production environment that serve more than the immediate team; You are an expert who created micro services solutions; You have scripted in Python;
• Hands-on experience with network administration: You have setup VPCs, subnets, peering, private links; You have experience working with CIDR blocks; You have practical hands-on knowledge of DNS
• Working knowledge of Terraform, Vault and Git
• Complex distributed environment troubleshooting experience
• Administrative experience with CI/CD systems (Codefresh, TeamCity, Jenkins)
• Knowledge of Open Telemetry and Tracing
• Familiarity with Metrics and logging tools (New Relic, SumoLogic, Grafana, Kubernetes Lens)
• Experience with Linux and Docker internals
• Programming language background beyond Go and Python: Java, Scala, Ruby, TypeScript
• Knowledge and experience using Perforce
• Interest in Machine Learning
• Experience directing vendors to help driving high quality project outcomes
• Experience working on a globally distributed team