Senior Mobile Platform Engineer (Fortnite Tech)
Engineering at Epic
What We Do
Unreal-powered projects have been on the bleeding edge of real-time entertainment for over 20 years. Our team of engineering experts is always innovating to improve the tools and technology that empower content developers worldwide.
What You'll Do
The Fortnite Technology Team is looking for a Senior Mobile Platform Engineer passionate about creating world-class, industry leading game engine technologies, targeting the full spectrum of Android platforms. You'll work with the latest in Unreal software and mobile hardware offerings to design and implement platform APIs, guide cross-platform API development and create robust platform support as required by the demands of Fortnite as we continue to grow in this market. If you're an experienced engineer looking for an opportunity to grow and contribute to our engine and feature development, we want to talk to you!
In This Role You Will
• Collaborate with a wide variety of Fortnite engineering and content creation teams to solve complex technical challenges in ways that move the stability and quality of Fortnite forward.
• Implement and improve various low-level systems that interface with platform APIs, i.e. memory allocators (physical and virtual), file systems, input systems, graphics APIs (OpenGL and Vulkan), shader compilers, etc.
• Analyze and continuously strive to solve and optimize problems related to a modern game engine (load times, memory usage and platform specific performance issues) and the wide range of content delivered within Fortnite.
• Make improvements to platform toolchains, i.e. compiler/linker support, deployment to device, SDK upgrades, platform specific data management tools, debugger integration, crash reporting, etc.
• Help us embrace, support, extend and enhance our engine for future hardware.
What We're Looking For
• Extensive commercial C++ experience.
• Experience developing for Android-based systems
• Experience with a broad range of engineering areas in shipping games or real-time visualization systems, with special attention given to low-level code and deep optimization
• Well-versed in software engineering principles, especially API design
• Familiarity with an existing game engine with an understanding of engine and editor concepts
• Familiarity with development tools and profiling on modern systems, including frame capture and profiling with engine-level and platform-specific tooling
• Experience developing in a large codebase at a fast pace, making trade-offs between usability, performance, and power
• You're user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1p5zm-54-227-97-219-42 in your application.