We are looking for an Apple Platform Programmer passionate about creating world-class, industry leading game engine technologies, targeting the full spectrum of Apple platforms. You'll work with the latest in Apple software and hardware offerings to design and implement platform APIs, guide cross-platform API development, and create robust platform toolchains as required by the demands of a variety of both gaming and non-gaming related projects. If you're an experienced engineer looking for an opportunity to grow and contribute to our engine and feature development across all of Apple's platforms, we want to talk to you!
In this role, you will:
• Implement and improve various low-level systems that interface with platform APIs, i.e. memory allocators (physical and virtual), file systems, input systems, graphics APIs (Metal), shader compilers, etc
• Analyze and continuously strive to solve and optimize problems related to a modern game engine (load times, memory usage and platform specific performance issues)
• Make improvements to platform toolchains, i.e. compiler/linker support, deployment to device, SDK upgrades, platform specific data management tools, debugger integration, crash reporting, etc.
• Help us embrace, support, extend and enhance our engine for future hardware.
• Support external customers
What we're looking for:
• Strong programming background and C++ knowledge.
• Experience with a broad range of engineering areas in shipping games or real-time visualization systems, with special attention given to low-level code and deep optimization
• Experience with OS level systems on macOS, iOS/iPadOS/tvOS
• Well-versed in software engineering principles, especially API design
• Familiarity with an existing game engine with an understanding of engine and editor concepts
• Familiarity with development tools and profiling on modern systems, including Instruments, Xcode GPU frame capture and profiling
• Experience developing in a large codebase at a fast pace, making trade-offs between usability, performance, and power
• Prior shipped projects with UE4 is a plus
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d933bz-18-204-227-34-42 in your application.
Founded in 1991, Epic Games is a leading interactive entertainment company and provider of 3D engine technology. Epic operates Fortnite, one of the world’s largest games with over 350 million accounts and 2.5 billion friend connections. Epic also develops Unreal Engine, which powers the world’s leading games and is also adopted across industries such as film and television, architecture, automotive, manufacturing, and simulation.