Markets Reporter - Investopedia
Investopedia, a leading financial education website, is seeking a highly motivated and talented Markets Reporter to join a growing and dynamic news team. The position is based in our New York City office.
We're looking for someone who is eager to cover every twist and turn in financial markets and to go beneath the surface on price movements and money flows. You will report and explain market developments quickly and accurately, serving readers who are eager to understand what that news means for their wallets, their portfolios, and their families.
You should be mission-driven and inspired to play a vital role in delivering unique and actionable insights to Investopedia's global audience in a fast-paced environment. You must also be dedicated to high journalistic standards and have strong reporting and writing skills.
This is an excellent opportunity for an aspiring journalist with a passion for finance to kick-start their career in financial journalism.
• Reporting: You will report on market price movements and fund flows in real time; develop a deep understanding of various financial markets through research and extensive sourcing; and conceptualize and execute coverage that helps readers understand how market movements could affect their financial decisions and how news developments are likely to affect market sentiment.
• Writing: You will write engaging and concise news articles and headlines that adhere to the Investopedia style and journalistic principles, ensuring accuracy, clarity, and comprehensibility. Much of the work that's required will be done under tight deadlines.
• Teamwork: You will coordinate with other members of the news team to cover the news that is most relevant to our readers. You will be asked on occasion to cover news that's not directly related to financial markets, so a broad interest in business and economic news is essential.
• Social Media Engagement: You will actively participate in social media platforms to promote news articles, engage with the audience, and increase readership. Monitor social media for breaking news and trending topics in the financial world.
• Financial Journalism Experience: 2-5 years demonstrable experience in financial journalism is ideal, preferably reporting on financial markets. Familiarity with financial terminology, concepts, and market dynamics is essential.
• Reporting Skills: Proficient in conducting thorough research and gathering information from diverse sources, including financial statements, press releases, industry reports, market data and connections with financial market participants. Strong analytical and critical thinking abilities.
• Writing Skills: Excellent writing skills with the ability to produce clear, accurate, and engaging news articles within tight deadlines. Strong command of grammar, punctuation, and Associated Press (AP) style.
• Journalism Education: Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or a related field from an accredited university or college is preferred. Knowledge of and commitment to high journalism ethics and principles are essentia.
• Adaptability and Initiative: Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, adapting quickly to changing priorities. Proactive in identifying news opportunities and pitching story ideas.
If you are passionate about financial journalism, possess a strong desire to deliver accurate and compelling news stories, and thrive in a fast-paced environment, we would love to hear from you. Join the Investopedia news team and contribute to shaping the financial news landscape on the internet.
Salary: $58,500 - $80,000
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gkyxp4-3-238-180-174-42 in your application.