Post Production Supervisor
New York, NY
The Media Delivery team at Disney Streaming Services is responsible for the entire audio and video encoding supply chain from content acquisition to delivery, consisting of agile and responsive teams of technicians that perform the daily processes and procedures of our live and on-demand video streaming products. The department's responsibilities provide round-the-clock support for these products, ensuring proper functionality across all platforms and front-end playback scenarios. The Media Delivery Operations team provides operational and procedural support for our partner products, including system health monitoring and incident management, live and VOD streaming media orchestration, and cross-team communications.
As a Lead Streaming Media Engineer you will work to improve our video encoding pipeline and provide the highest quality experience to our end users by assessing the encoded quality of a large library of content spanning more than 100 years. Through collaboration with media engineers and operations teams, you will study the impact of current codec and encoding implementations using programmatic analysis and ''golden eyes'' viewing of content with the goal of improving the quality of our video streams. This position requires a highly skilled individual with strong creative and analytic skills and passion for video quality, coding and processing technologies.
• Investigate quality degradation and playback issues
• Perform encoding experiments to determine areas for improvement
• Establish Best Practices for assessing video quality across a diverse content catalog
• Research new video analysis and encoding technologies
• Design and implement procedures for assessing video quality
• Conduct video quality experiments on existing content
• Contribute to optimization of video processing
• Expertise with video and image coding principles, algorithms, and techniques
• Expertise with video compression standards, such as H.264, HEVC, AV1, etc.
• Experienced in assessing visual quality using both objective metrics and subjective techniques
• Solid understanding of video processing algorithms such as scaling, noise reduction, tone mapping, etc
• Solid understanding of advanced and emerging video standards such as HDR10, Dolby Vision
• Excellent problem solving, and debugging skills
• Programming skills or familiarity with a programming language preferred
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Ability to work constructively within a large organization
• Able to identify visual quality artifacts
• Able to relate compression artifacts to encoding parameters
• Bachelors in Electrical Engineering/Computer Science or equivalent
• Masters preferred
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ and Disney+.