Back-End Software Engineer
Discovery+ is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and detailed orientated professional to join the Live Operations teams. Reporting into the Live Event Leads the Tech Ops Support will help support end-to-end live and VOD video delivery including EPG and metadata accuracy and integrity.
The Tech Ops Support role will support the day-to-day running of live events on the Discovery+ service across multiple platforms and territories and ensure that we deliver a high-quality service to the end-user, and ensure that all live events on the service meet the business needs.
The primary role will be to support Live events and make sure that all live events play out smoothly, quickly deep-diving into issues identified, look for any workaround and attempt to resolve any issues at the time where possible, to provide the best possible experience. If it's not possible to resolve the issue at the time, raise a development ticket with all the relevant information to ensure the issue can be resolved at quickly as possible to reduce the impact on the customer experience.
• This position will work cross-functionally with the Global Technology and Operations team, the D2C Global Technology Platform team, and Eurosport Digital Product teams to establish operational processes that ensure a quality experience for all video delivered to customers.
• The Tech Ops support role will support the day-to-day live events. Helping run daily check on the various platforms, web, mobile (iOS & Android), and connected devices to ensure that the service is operating effectively.
• Manage and triage all issues identified with the Discovery+ service, gathering as much information as possible to help identify the root cause of the problem.
• Work closely with the London service delivery team and Tech Operations center (TOC) to escalate and manage issues through to a resolution.
• Work with the wider Discovery+ team to ensure we are operationally ready for all new deployments across products and technology. By being aware of all new changes being deployed to the Discovery+ platforms to ensure that the service is operational, working, and is not impacting live events.
• Work with the editorial and product teams to understand the full configuration of the Apps to understand how they work and function technically.
• Effective communication to stakeholders on all identified issues and bugs
• Assist in maintaining high performing service operational support functions for Discovery+
• Support continuous improvements of the service management process and make recommendations for Service Improvement Plans and ensure actions are followed through to completion in a timely manner
• Work with wider Discovery+ team to ensure actions are taken and completed to deliver improvements for the Discovery+ service.
Role Specific Experience / Skills
• Able to demonstrate initiative and a proactive approach to daily tasks, manage and prioritize tasks and time efficiently
• Strong communication and organizational skills. Ability to self-organize, take ownership of an issue, and drive it through to completion
• Ability to work well in a team, as well as independently
• A can-do attitude and willingness to learn new skillsets
• Good technical aptitude and understanding of the software development process, methodologies, tools, and frameworks
• Able to build strong relationships and achieve results under potentially difficult circumstances
• Proven ability to work well under pressure with a high degree of flexibility and a positive approach
• Produce detailed service quality reports to key audiences including senior management
• Strong customer service ethos, committed to quality, with the will and enthusiasm to drive improvements
• Experience with JIRA and Confluence
• Experience in working across the territory
• Strong problem solving and analytical mindset
• In-depth understanding of digital (OTT) and broadcast technology
• Experience with multilingual application development and roll-out
• Native language and English speaker
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.