Who we are
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery - every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
The Direct to Consumer Group (DTC) is a technology company within Discovery that is responsible for building a global streaming video platform to support a broad collection of Discovery's diverse brands around the world including Discovery, TLC, Food Network, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science Channel, HGTV, Eurosport, Motor Trend, and many more.
DTC's software engineering teams build applications for the web, mobile, tablets, connected TVs, consoles, and other streaming devices. Those applications are backed by a fleet of modern, cloud-native microservices deployed to Kubernetes within AWS. It is a fast-growing, global engineering group crucial to Discovery's future.
What will you do
Your role will focus on leading the development efforts of the KaaS platform (Kafka-as-a-Service). You will help drive technical decision-making, particularly with regard to operations and the architectural direction of the platform. You'll help solve problems related to building a global Kafka architecture with regional clusters, mirrors, backups and solve for different use cases such as high traffic telemetry (logs & metrics), business-critical events, and analytics like Kafka streams.
As an expert in your area, you will help set the tone for how your team operates. You'll emphasize modern, rigorous software development practices that emphasize testability, repeatability, and self-service automation. You'll conduct code reviews and mentor more junior developers. You'll openly collaborate with other teams' leads and help raise the bar of engineering excellence across the entire organization.
Who are you
As an SRE in the Developer Automation group within DTC, you'll be joining a team that is responsible for building a truly global, self-service platform to enable DTC's growing number of engineering teams.
You bring passion and enthusiasm to your engineering team. You have a track record of shipping quality code to production on a frequent and consistent basis. You thrive under minimal supervision with the ability to self-motivate and self-organize within the organizational structure. You have experience running production infrastructure that supports multiple systems in a scalable, stable, and performant manner. You measure everything, make decisions based on data, are consumer-obsessed, and take immense pride in your work.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a wide breadth of experience across the entire software stack, as well as deep subject matter expertise in at least one technology from each of the following groups:
• Operating Kafka at scale (we use MSK in AWS)
• Cloud Infrastructure Automation (AWS strongly preferred with CF/CDK)
• Data Processing (e.g. Hadoop, Big Table, Spark, Redshift)
• Linux System Administration
• Distributed Systems Development (e.g. asynchronous communication patterns, consensus algorithms, distributed transactions)
• Programming (e.g. Go-lang, Java, Kotlin, Scala, Python, Ruby)
• Event Driven Architecture & Streaming Frameworks (e.g. Kafka streams)
Your Technical Knowledge
In addition, your technical expertise should match well to the following:
• Experience leading the development of large-scale projects, e.g. breaking down tasks, delegating work, assisting in the creation of roadmaps and work back plans
• Deep understanding of distributed systems in Kubernetes
• Hands-on experience with multiple IaC tools (e.g. CDK, Terraform, Crossplane)
• Experience with some of the frameworks and tools our development teams use day to day (i.e Spring Boot, Kafka)
• Experience with the development and operation of high throughput, low-latency systems
• Hands-on experience with automating development workflow pipelines (CI/CD)
• Operational experience (i.e. on-call rotation, incident response)
• Ability to collaborate effectively with remote peers across disparate geographies and timezones
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with particular emphasis on technical documentation (including diagramming)
• Strong CS fundamentals
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rj2ee2-3-236-122-9-42 in your application.