Software Development Engineer
As television and media habits change, our mission remains true to the principles that founded Discovery – every day we seek to ignite people's curiosity to engage, entertain and enlighten the world around them through amazing viewing experiences.
Who we are
The Direct to Consumer group (DTC) is a technology company within Discovery that is responsible for building a global streaming video platform (OTT) to support a broad collection of Discovery's diverse brands around the world including Discovery channel, TLC, Food Network, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science Channel, HGTV, Eurosport, MotorTrend, and many more.
The Developer Automation group within DTC is responsible for building a truly global, self-service platform to enable DTC's growing number of engineering teams to build, test, deploy, and manage the complete operational life cycle of their services in a fully autonomous fashion.
Who you are
The ideal candidate has an established track record of building great software teams. You know how to establish a team's identity and how to define the way in which that team works within a larger organization. You have mastered the ability to delegate – at both the task and project level – to appropriate team members and are able to ensure that the right results are achieved even without your constant oversight. You are a leader that people turn to when they want to build something new as you can align with company priorities and processes, or even create new ones when necessary.
What You'll Do
As an Engineering Manager, your role will focus on managing other engineers and on leading the development efforts of one or more portions of the platform core and the common platform services of DTC's global platform. You will help drive technical decision-making, particularly with regard to the architectural direction of the platform components. Your team will help solve problems related to complex cloud-infrastructure automation, multi-region networking, cross-cluster service meshes, authentication/authorization, and the management of large-scale Kubernetes cluster deployments across many AWS accounts.
You will help set the tone for how your team operates. You'll insist on modern, rigorous software development practices that emphasize testability, repeatability, and self-service automation. You'll mentor your team and help grow your developers into leaders. You'll openly collaborate with other teams' managers and help raise the bar of engineering excellence across the entire organization.
• You understand a broad range of computer science concepts and know how, when, and when not to use them. You can dive deep into a wide range of technical problems offering suggestions and feedback to your team. Your interest in computer science has not faded as you moved into a leadership role and you are still comfortable with technical details.
• Your written and verbal communication skills are top-notch. You can distill key points out of complex technical descriptions to share with non-technical stakeholders, adapting your language and style of communication depending on the audience. You communicate through data, dates, and facts using emotion judiciously to motivate and inspire.
• You lead by example and do not consider yourself above individual contributor work. You are comfortable teaching best practices by showing people, not just telling people. Teams follow your lead because you are an inspirational leader, because you are right, and because you can show everyone high-quality examples of your own work.
• Given a larger business goal, you are able to facilitate ramping up of an existing team or building a new team, including estimating the needed skills and team size, defining processes, team structure, and means of collaboration. You have repeatedly demonstrated the ability to hit these goals.
• You have demonstrated the ability to make great hiring decisions as is evidenced by the performance of engineers on your team, and you are able to retain and develop the best engineers.
• You have demonstrated the capacity to make decisions for more than one engineering team or functional area showing that your judgment is fungible.
In addition, your technical skills should match well to the following:
• Understanding of distributed systems in Kubernetes
• Hands-on experience with at least one IaC tool (e.g. CDK, Terraform, Crossplane)
• Experience with the development and operation of high throughput, low-latency systems
• Experience as a software developer and have a good understanding of how to implement observability frameworks & tools (e.g. statsd, log4j, prometheus)
• Hands-on experience with automating development workflow pipelines (CI/CD)
• Operational experience (i.e. on-call rotation, incident response)
• Ability to collaborate effectively with remote peers across disparate geographies and timezones
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with particular emphasis on technical documentation (including diagramming)
• Strong CS fundamentals
Explore your (tech)world – Discover us!
As we interview candidates continuously, we kindly ask you to register your application as soon as possible. If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.