Newshub is the premiere new brand for Discovery ANZ. It delivers world-class local and international news aimed primarily at a New Zealand audience across linear broadcast and digital platforms
This specialist Pasifika Affairs reporter will play a key role in providing stories of importance to Pasifika communities and to broader populations in Aotearoa.
The Pasifika Affairs reporter will use their strong contacts with New Zealand's diverse Pasifika populations to find, gather and deliver stories to digital, social, and broadcast channels - to ensure issues important to Pasifika peoples are part of our news coverage.
We expect our Pasifika Affairs reporter will help ensure a Pasifika lens is placed on any coverage of significant stories affecting Pasifika people, both here in New Zealand and in the Pacific Islands.
• Find, gather and deliver Pasifika affairs stories for all Newshub platforms and programmes, including Newshub Live at 6pm.
• Build and maintain relationships with leaders in our diverse Pasifika communities in New Zealand.
• Build and maintain relationships with sources in the pacific region to ensure significant stories are being told and we are in touch with issues affecting people in the Pacific Islands that reverberate in our Pasifika population in Aotearoa.
• Ensure significant events are in Newshub's news diary and assist in the development of coverage plans for such events for all Newshub bulletins, programmes and platforms.
• Understand cultural protocols and nuances that should be taken into a consideration in storytelling and while newsgathering
• Ensure translations used are accurate
• Deliver compelling original news stories either in video, copy and/or audio formats for distribution on all platforms – with primary consumption by the audience through digital and social media
• Assist other reporters to understand Pasifika issues - as required
• Script and deliver news stories to a high standard, accessing the knowledge base of Newshub producers and managers to constantly improve your stories
• Report live from the field to a quality broadcast standard
• Report breaking news in an authoritative, warm and convincing manner
• Have regular conversations with Newhub producers to develop story angles
• Participate in feedback sessions to improve on-air performance
• Strong contacts with Pasifika leaders of diverse backgrounds.
• An enthusiastic and positive team player who loves news
• An outgoing and immersive individual, passionate about the region they serve
• Willing to take direction and eager to develop technical and presentation skills
• A generous team member who appreciates individual and business successes
• Flexibility to work when news breaks
• Ability to work to tight deadlines and perform effectively under pressure
• Close attention to detail
• Excellent writing skills
• Basic experience with video editing
• Effective communicator both internally and externally
• A generator of original ideas
• Engagement with digital news platforms , and social networks
• Continually seeks opportunities to improve programme content and delivery
• Maintains excellent collaborative and professional relationships within the wider company
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1pokm-3-80-3-192-42 in your application.