Senior Director Legal
New York, NY
What is Discovery?
Discovery is the global leader in real life entertainment. Serving passionate fans with content that inspires, informs and entertains with leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands.
Learn more about Discovery at our Corporate Site.
The Ethics & Compliance team is responsible for regulatory and corporate compliance matters related to Discovery's businesses and operations, worldwide. The team provides pragmatic advice and counsel on a broad range of topics including anti-corruption, conflict of interest, gifts and business entertainment, sanctions/ trade compliance, business conduct & practices, ethics & integrity in matters and deals involving employment, technology, advertising, marketing, mergers and acquisitions, commercial joint ventures, licensing, and corporate operations.
The Director, Ethics and Compliance will play a key role in the global ethics & compliance program by leading efforts to improve and expand its overall governance for Discovery. The Director must have strong analytical, communication and project management skills. We are looking for a leader to: (1) develop, manage and drive ongoing compliance initiatives at Discovery, ensuring we are following the policies, guidelines, and the laws and regulations that impact our innovative projects; and ensure the business achieves its goals; (2) participate in day-to-day management of risks covering a variety of teams, topics covering anti-corruption, gifts & business entertainment, third party due diligence, sanctions, conflict of interest and other corporate compliance matters across the USA, LatAm, EMEA and APAC regions; and (3) regularly engage with senior leaders and teams across Legal, People & Culture, Finance, Internal Audit, Operations and other Business units.
This role will report to the Head of Compliance and ideally located in New York City.
• Provide counsel regarding anti-bribery & corruption laws, sanctions/trade compliance, conflict of interest, gifts and business entertainment, business conduct, 3rd party diligence, charitable donations, and other company policies
• Assist in the design and implementation of compliance risk mitigation strategies
• Monitor legal and regulatory developments, assessing the potential impact for global stakeholders, supporting and advising on implementation strategies to comply with legal and regulatory changes
• Provide counsel and advice regarding enhancements to the Company's compliance efforts
• Ensure an adequate response to identified issues and allegations of improper conduct in the business, including by assisting on internal investigations as appropriate and in collaboration with other key stakeholders including, among others, Audit, Legal, People & Culture, Operations and other Business units
• Work with business stakeholders to develop effective processes, policies, controls, and metrics that mature compliance with relevant laws, regulations, and standards
• Manage and advise on third party due diligence, gift and entertainment, conflicts of interest programs
• Report on risk & compliance projects and periodic reporting to the department leaders and other stakeholders
• Develop and execute risk assessments; design follow-up programs to address key risks
• Evaluate large data sets to monitor trends and detect potentially improper/fraudulent activity
• Present training to Company employees, and others, regarding the Code of Ethics and company policies and practices
• Prepare materials for Audit Committee meetings and other presentations on ethics & compliance initiatives
• Assist in special projects and other compliance related initiatives as needed.
• Minimum 8 years' experience at law firm, government agency or in-house with extensive anti-corruption experience (FCPA,UKBA)
• At least 4 years' experience in Compliance field is a must (data privacy is a plus)
• Law degree from an accredited law school. Must be bar admitted and currently active.
• Knowledge and experience with Google Suite, Smartsheet, Excel, Microsoft Power BI, Adobe
• Ability to work effectively in a global environment, sensitivity to and an understanding of cultural differences
• Professional presence and ability to effectively present and communicate with key business stakeholders
• Solid work ethic, enjoy working collaboratively with others, and interest in building a team committed to quality and excellence
• Excel in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision
• Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with a wide range of clients, and ability to prioritize while handling multiple responsibilities
• Highly organized and pay attention to the details
• Clear and concise communicator (both orally and written) – ability to present and distill complex issues into practical solutions
• Calm under pressure, clear thinking, well organized, proactive and grasps concepts quickly
• Willingness and ability to travel as necessary, including internationally (once Covid-19 measures are removed)
• Knowledge of and/or exposure to digital media/media or technology industry is a plus
Nearest Major Market: Manhattan
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City
Discovery, Inc. is the global leader in real life entertainment. We serve passionate fans with content that inspires, informs, and entertains, providing leadership across deeply loved and trusted brands, such as Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, HGTV, Food Network, and Travel Channel.