This position deals with the implementation of the technical and operational requirements for the delivery of all Discovery television feeds via satellite and fibre to its customers across the EMEA region, ensuring they conform to industry standards and corporate best practice.
With a focus on networking, international satellite and fibre methodology and compression and distribution technologies; the role requires effective management and configuration of in-house systems and liaison with and management of third party service providers, liaison with affiliates, execution of projects, tracking of technological developments and the implementation of operational procedures, systems and standards.
A Distribution Engineer in this role is expected to work cooperatively across departments within Discovery and the wider industry in order to provide pro-active support to the continued growth and stability of Discovery's distribution systems across the EMEA region.
The role requires a keen eye for detail, a thorough and methodical approach to projects as well as the ability to manage individual priorities in a fast paced and dynamic environment. In line with the strategic vision of the department the role plays a key part in delivering broadcast services to a consistently high standard
The role will provide support on technology changes throughout the distribution chain; by helping to specify technical requirements and making technical recommendations and advising on new distribution technology issues.
• Responsible for delivery of television feeds and content to customers across the EMEA region
• Working closely with third party service providers
• Configuration, operation and support of in-house systems
• Timely execution of Distribution Engineering projects
• Reacting to faults and issues and working closely with operations teams to resolve them
• Assist with budget preparation and control expenditure
• Monitor, maintain and improve the quality of Discovery's output
• Enforcement and updating of engineering technical standards
• Maintain strong cross department relationships
• Ensure operational and technical requirements are met
• Provide technical and strategic support to internal and external customers
• Participation in the department on-call rota
• Other duties as required
• Educated to degree level, BSc or BEng or equivalent experience
• Proven track record and demonstrable multi-year experience in broadcast technology and engineering
• Understanding and relevant experience of DVB compression systems
• Understanding and relevant experience of satellite and fibre distribution systems
• Understanding and mature experience of multi-channel international distribution
• Awareness of TCP/IP Network concepts included multicast traffic
• Awareness of cloud distribution concepts (AWS MediaConnent)
• Relevant experience of 3rd party vendor management
• Ability to prioritise and work autonomously under pressure and to tight deadlines
• Comfortable in a complex International matrix organisation
• Excellent communication and influencing skills
• Ability to deliver on time and to high levels of quality
• International travel possible
• Keen interest in the wider television industry with an eye on future technological and business advancements
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rv583j-44-192-114-32-42 in your application.