Writer, CNN Digital (Entertainment & Culture)
You will be a writer on CNN Digital's flagship newsletter, 5 Things, helping audiences catch up on the top stories of the day from high-priority breaking news to the cultural and social moments that have everyone talking. As a newsletter writer you must be well read on the top stories around the world and have the ability to sum up all the best bits in a way that is smart, but not too stuffy, contextual, but not too wordy. The 5 Things writers and editors are part of our Culture team, a group of storytellers who create vibrant, engaging stories using writing that provokes and visuals that awe. Team members must be equally at home writing step-back pieces about Beyoncé or explainers about the pandemic, for example. We are looking for a writer who understands the zeitgeists, the cultural juggernauts, the of-the-moment moods of our wide world, and who can write those stories with authority and accessibility.
Writing the 5 Things newsletter is an early morning gig with lightning-fast deadlines. You must be great at getting up to speed quickly on complicated news developments. You must be skilled at summing up the most relevant elements of a news story in a conversational writing style for a devoted audience looking for a smart, easy way to catch up before starting their day. You will be a collaborative partner to our senior writer for 5 Things, some days taking the lead and some days offering writing, reporting or research support. This role will also contribute to other CNN Digital products, such as our Good Stuff newsletter and our CNN news quizzes. This writer may also be assigned quick, lively of-the-moment stories; smart angles on the news of the day; and longer culture-oriented pieces with a distinctive voice and outlook. You may occasionally contribute to live news blogs or special features.
• College degree in journalism is preferred
• 3-5 years of related experience
• Basic understanding of news and of storytelling, with a deep curiosity about current events
• Excellent writing skills
• Demonstrate a conversational writing style, solid news judgment and an obsessive devotion to accuracy
• Demonstrate the ability to research and write high-impact news stories
• Show a high level of flexibility and the ability to juggle multiple tasks at once
• Generate and execute distinctive story ideas
• Use social media to gather and check information
• Ability to collaborate and interact with internal and external peers and managers to exchange information related to assigned activities
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to wellbeing tools, resources, and freebies
• 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
• 2018 Best Company for Dads
• An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g3km49-54-80-249-22-42 in your application.