CNN New York is looking for an experienced journalist with strong news gathering abilities and leadership skills.
The Senior Planning Editor is an integral part of our assignment desk in the New York Bureau and responsible for futures planning and day-to-day editorial.
The editor is responsible for clearly communicating logistics and editorial information with the New York team as well as between bureaus, digital newsgathering and shows. Additional responsibilities include daily staff schedules, coordinating with field teams and working alongside junior staff. The editor will also be part of the daily newsgathering operation.
The News Editor should be a collaborative, team player who can clearly and succinctly distill news and disseminate information across various news platforms. You'll be responsible for pushing the editorial envelope on stories that help CNN distinguish itself from our competition.
As a leader on our assignment desk, the editor should be able to distinguish stories that meet CNN's journalistic standards and newsgather via traditional methods as well as social media.
• Pitch ideas and coverage plans surrounding upcoming events
• Collaborate with newsgathering partners on priority needs
• Coordinate with managers, correspondents, producers, show staff and technical staff to execute coverage.
• Facilitate daily staffing plan
• Immerse in daily editorial
• BA/BS in Journalism, Television-Film Production, Communications, or related discipline preferred.
• 8+ years' experience in news environment at a major network/local station.
• 4+ years of previous Assignment Editor experience preferred.
• 4-6 years' experience utilizing social media platforms to newsgather.
• Strong general news judgment and editorial skills.
• Strong logistical ability.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Ability to work and make quick decisions in a fast-paced news environment that is 24 hours/ 365 days a year.
• 1+ year experience TV/digital writing experience preferred.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn85kk-3-215-177-171-42 in your application.