CNN Digital is seeking to add an exceptional editorial thinker and leader to oversee the commissioning, editing and production of feature, enterprise and distinctive news output from Europe, Middle East and Africa.
This editor will work with a distributed team of digital producers and digital editors in addition to collaborating with journalists from other parts of the organisation, including international newsgathering's teams and bureaus.
The successful candidate will have management experience as a newsroom leader with a capacity to strongly and efficiently deliver work through other people. They will have a track record of delivering impactful and ambitious digital journalism in multiple formats. They will have displayed a capacity for creative storytelling and know how to work with journalists to shape and develop ideas, subjects and pitches into sharp stories. They will have deep knowledge of the wide and diverse region the team covers and an active interest in continuously broadening their understanding of it.
Crucially, they will be able to inspire the EMEA team and the wider organisation to produce high-quality, impactful news feature journalism. They will have experience owning editorial processes around complex and sensitive stories. They will have a deep understanding of digital and social audiences and understand how to build meaningful, direct and lasting relationships with them.
• Commissions, edits and project manages stories and other journalism output with varying timeframes – from news features to longer term investigations and projects
• Creates a strong pipeline of enterprise journalism to engage CNN's global audiences
• Encourages journalists and editors to explore new ways into existing editorial priority areas for CNN as well as new areas of growth. Can adapt to changing editorial priorities over time.
• Can quickly spot and actively shape stories
• Collaborates with CNN's Visual News team to push the boundaries of industry-leading visual, digital storytelling
• Contributes and supports the ongoing digital transformation work happening at CNN to deepen engagement with our audiences
• Coaches and develop journalists to become stronger at framing their stories and articulating them. Can deploy a range of approaches to achieve this.
• Dives in and edits stories to ensure best quality output
• Works with different stakeholders across the organization to ensure best placement of stories across different digital platforms
• Proven experience as a people manager in a newsroom or similar environment
• Editing experience
• Exceptional editorial judgement and knowledge of the news agenda
• Demonstrated capacity for hiring and developing journalistic talent. Demonstrated commitment to building a diverse and inclusive working culture
• A track record of editing and leading enterprise and feature news journalism that start conversations
• Experience working across teams and with stakeholders to execute a story
• A track record of leading ambitious digital storytelling and a desire to produce groundbreaking work that pushes boundaries in terms of form/format
• Knowledge of growing digital audiences and deepening engagement with them
• Strong technical capabilities including working on different content management systems and news operating systems
• Knowledge of running journalists and teams in unsafe environments
• Understanding of journalistic standards and media law
Our people make WM the inspiring organisation it is today.
At WarnerMedia, our commitment starts with you! As a company of storytellers and journalists we have a responsibility to make sure we have a collection of voices and people whose stories reflect and connect with the global audiences and communities we serve.
WarnerMedia, and its suite of brands like Warner Bros., CNN, HBO Max, HBO, TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang and many more, have long been committed to equity and inclusion as moral and business imperatives. It is essential that our content and creative partners reflect the diversity of our society and the world around us. Together with other production companies, networks, guilds, unions, talent agencies and others in the industry, WarnerMedia is committed to greater inclusion of people of colour, women, the LGBTQ community, those with disabilities and other underrepresented groups in greater numbers both in front of and behind the camera.
There really has never been a better and more exciting time to join WarnerMedia. For more information on how to join our company and our commitment to diversity and inclusion, please click here.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d97eom-3-238-132-225-42 in your application.