Social Media Associate
Los Angeles, CA
We aim to make the world a better, more connected place. Join us!
CNN seeks a Senior Editor, Culture Trends CNN digital for the Digital News department.
The Culture and Trends team brings in new readers through continually expanding CNN's breadth of coverage; and engage existing readers through content that is provocative, visually arresting and socially shareable. The team is also home to CNN's flagship newsletter, 5 Things, and the Saturday read, The Good Stuff. It plays an integral part in positioning CNN Digital as the No. 1 global news source.
We are looking for a senior editor to lead the team – someone who goes beyond simply assigning stories and taps into the cultural conversation of the day. They will incorporate editorial judgment with data analysis, constantly iterating and tweaking as news demands change and audience behavior shifts.
The ideal candidate is a best-in-class shaper and sharpener of stories and ideas. They are a people manager who can coach, inspire, nurture, and grow hungry and high-performing writers. Their news judgment is top-notch; they thrive on the breakneck pace of daily deadline journalism; and they're big on collaboration. This person will also be intimately involved with the 5 Things brand, in both editorial and growth as we explore more direct-to-consumer opportunities.
The Senior Editor for Culture and Trends will manage a team of writers who are juggling multiple stories at once. We need someone with vision; who can inspire; and, in this time of exciting change and experimentation, is nimble and quick to pivot as needed.
On any given day, this person will:
• Know the network's priority stories, assign distinctive sidebars and edit them with an eye toward the sharpest framing
• Use Crowdtangle, Twitter, Google, Reddit and affiliates to commission trending pieces to stay competitive and bring in new audiences
• Maintain seamless communication with every part of CNN -- from the various digital units to show teams -- for the most efficient collaboration on stories and minimal duplication
• Analyze story performance using tools such as Omniture and Chartbeat to continually hone our coverage areas
• Occasionally write as news demands
• Monitor daily reader feedback from the 5 Things and Good Stuff newsletter audiences
• Be adaptable as the job may also require a weekend shift here and there and changing hours to meet changing business needs
• Deep knowledge in how to tell compelling stories on multiple digital platforms
• Experience managing writers and editors in a fast-changing environment, or experience managing projects
• Well-versed on national topics, with a finger on the pulse of the cultural conversation
An active proponent of stories from underserved and underreported communities
• The ability to coordinate coverage and assignments in real time during a breaking news situation
• Excellent communication, collaboration and organizational skills
• Hands-on story editing that elevates the writing, reporting and presentation
This editor, like all CNN digital editors, will edit stories from a wide range of sources including: The core Culture and Trends team and other writers across CNN Digital Worldwide including contributors, freelancers and field teams who may not be able to sit and write but can give great material by phone, slack, etc. on the ground from any corner of the world.
• At least 5 years' experience managing people and/or projects
• Strong collaborative and leadership skills
• Experience with coaching writers to take their stories from good to great
• Ability to work in a fast pace, high pressure environment
• Very strong writing and editing skills
• Paid time off every year to volunteer
• Access to well-being tools, resources, and freebies
• 2018 Best Company for Working Mothers
• 2018 Best Company for Dads
• An in-house learning and development team to help shape and grow your career
• Part of the WarnerMedia family of powerhouse brands
We are CNN. THE WORLD'S MOST ESSENTIAL AND ENGAGING SOURCE OF DIGITAL NEWS. We are in the midst of rapid transformation and need you to help us find the next generation of innovators, makers, and dreamers who will lead and drive our growth.