Senior Editor, Content Programming
Remote / Virtual
Senior Editor, Content Programming (CNN)
The Senior Editor will help lead the programming strategy across desktop web, mobile apps, and TV apps. The Senior Editor will collaborate with the Executive Editor and content teams to understand content priorities and curate and optimize that content to drive user engagement and retention. The ideal candidate must have a strong command of news and entertainment programming, and a strong understanding of how topic, talent, and format can be packaged together to create a cohesive and sticky experience. This role requires someone who is process-oriented and willing to try new things while remaining decisive and nimble. All editors on the programming team need to think like a viewer. A ferocious appetite for audience data and the ability to apply audience behavior into programming choices are required. This position reports to the Executive Editor and plays a key role as a people manager leading a team and building the team's capabilities.
• Collaborate with the Executive Editor to build a programming runbook that defines a strategy for live, video-on-demand, and interactive programming.
• Program core platforms, ensuring that the best and newest content is showcased for peak user engagement.
• Monitor content performance and adjusts tactics to deliver business goals
• Write descriptions and synopses, and test show and episode art for optimal performance
• Showcase strong editorial judgement to make calls around content that meet the journalistic standards of CNN.
• Work closely with internal stakeholders to develop, execute, and deliver on big ideas and priorities.
• Communicate programming insights to key stakeholders, including content strategy and content creation teams.
• Collaborate with internal teams including content strategy, product, and content creation.
• Pitch, develop and execute programming tactics and ideas independently.
• Manage a team of editors and associate editors.
• Four-year college degree. Journalism degree preferred
• 7+ years of high-level journalism experience; 1-2 years' experience managing others
• Ability to analyze data and share insights to inform editorial decision-making
• Excellent communication skills, news judgment and writing skills
• Experience working in a CMS.
• Ability to lead during breaking news situations
• Ability to independently make editorial decisions while programming core platforms
• Excellent creative vision, delegation, and prioritization skills.
• Proven ability to multitask and manage large projects.
• Flexibility (Can deal with rapid changes in news, adapt to breaking news, and handle several tasks at once)
• Must be able to adapt to a 24h/7 day a week news environment
• Must be able to work shifts at all times of day and night
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g6z8bj-3-233-219-62-42 in your application.