Your New Role...
CNN seeks a Senior Director, Standards and Practices . The function of Standards and Practices (S&P) is to protect the CNN brand by ensuring editorial and ethical excellence. S&P partners with CNN editorial teams (TV, digital, social, and audio platforms) on sensitive reporting and issues. The role of S&P is to make sure our content is fair, accurate, and responsible. Members of the S&P team are aligned to specific editorial shows and units, but also work with other departments including PR, marketing and ad sales when needed. In this role, the Senior Director will be the first point of contact for the editorial teams in vetting stories and content and will use good judgment in determining when to escalate to senior members of the team. A significant part of the role entails liaising with the other legal and editorial quality control teams.
Your Role Accountabilities...
• Uses editorial judgment and journalistic principles to assess whether a story or content is suitable for CNN platforms.
• Reviews and approves content to ensure it is fair and responsible.
• Works with teams in the development of long form and investigative reporting to ensure CNN standards are adhered to.
• Flags controversial and sensitive material to senior managers as appropriate.
• Conducts seminars for CNN staff with the goal of educating them on CNN's editorial standards and practices.
• Provides feedback to senior leaders on training and development needs for their teams.
• Remains abreast of major news stories by monitoring other media outlets.
Qualifications And Experience...
• 8 years of experience in news editorial decision making, including reporting on national politics.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, high pressure environment.
• Experience partnering with reporters, anchors, and senior level colleagues.
• Strong critical thinker who can confidently challenge colleagues and express skepticism when appropriate.
• Highly collaborative and respectful of others.
• Creative problem solver who enjoys finding solutions.
• Must be able to multi-task and prioritize a diversified workload.
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
• Experience partnering with and presenting to senior level managers.
• Undergraduate degree in journalism or related field.
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gk8nv4-3-227-251-94-42 in your application.