Your New Role…
The Tech Editor is a first-rate journalist and industry observer, setting CNN's digital agenda for tech news coverage and coordinating with producers, reporters and correspondents across CNN. This is a role for a skilled editor who is adept at covering the rapidly evolving technology industry. The ideal candidate thrives on the breakneck pace of deadline journalism, has top-notch news judgment and must love technology news -- with a particular enthusiasm for contextualizing the dynamic and complex nature of the tech business, including artificial intelligence, social media, antitrust policy and tech culture, and relate it to a broad consumer audience.
Your Role Accountabilities…
• Steer tech coverage by assigning, pitching, editing and coordinating news across CNN, including television shows, newsgathering and digital.
• Serve a gatekeeper and decisionmaker on tech industry stories that are published and shared across CNN's website, apps and other digital platforms.
• Collaborate with reporters and contributors and editors on other teams, including television, and moving quickly and accurately to edit and publish breaking news from those teams on digital platforms.
• Know when to involve CNN's legal and standards teams and navigate tricky editing processes on sensitive stories.
• Shape story ideas and angles around complex topics and frame stories that explain complicated information for a general news audience, including artificial intelligence and the spread of disinformation.
• Serve as a partner to writers and editors in identifying distinctive angles on top stories, and in helping to make good stories great.
• CNN editors must be excellent communicators and diplomats. They are strong providers of feedback who help elevate CNN's storytelling across a wide range of digital platforms.
• Be skeptical, but not cynical – be genuinely excited by the changes and disruptions to the media industry and beyond, but also ready to take a critical look at why those changes are taking place.
• And last but never least: Editors are often the final step before a story goes to CNN's programming team to get distributed to millions of people worldwide; all editors work intently to make sure our stories are accurate and fair so that we continue to grow the trust between CNN and our audiences.
Qualifications & Experience…
• 5+ years of digital experience
• College degree or equivalent industry experience
• Strong knowledge of or passion for business and media news
• Excellent people management skills
• Demonstrates exceptional leadership qualities
• Strong editorial judgement
• Strong communication, team collaboration skills
• Warner Bros. Discovery requires anyone working in our workplaces in the US to be vaccinated against COViD-19. Exemptions to this vaccine requirement are available to those entitled to reasonable accommodations for religious or medical reasons.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1xmm0-44-192-254-173-42 in your application.