Your New Role…
The Row has been described as CNN's editorial gatekeeper. It's a quality control unit that is on the frontline of protecting CNN's brand. On an average weekday, The Row will vet dozens of pieces, for TV and digital platforms, including everything from a reporter package on flooding in Omaha to a digital write on a terror investigation to a digital video on the latest mobile device. The Row researchers are an essential and critical link in the approval of content prior to broadcast and publication - checking their factual accuracy, looking for background information and context.
They are also occasionally involved in special projects that demand more in-depth research. The working environment is fast-paced and demanding; researchers are expected to get the best out of dozens of research tools. They are an integral part of a team that ensures CNN's reporting across all platforms is 100 percent accurate, that our storytelling is as good as it can be and that TV scripts and digital pieces are vetted and approved as fast as possible.
Your Role Accountabilities…
• Checking all verifiable facts in reporter scripts and other content for the CNN Networks, CNN Digital and CNN Newsource , including documentaries and some affiliate reports
• The researchers help manage the workflow of Row Editors and work closely with them on approving scripts
• They also prepare background information and deep research for special projects and during rolling coverage or breaking news
• The Row researchers sometimes support field correspondents by assisting package producers
• But this position is pre-eminently an editorial one, demanding detailed up-to-date knowledge of news stories, an ability to find and marshal reliable sources and communicate effectively with show EPs, reporters and The Row Editors
Qualifications & Experience…
• Successful candidate will have strong analytical skills, attention to detail, the ability to find answers to very specific questions - as well as an intense interest in events here and around the world
• Some editorial experience at either university or post-graduation required
• Substantial practical experience using online sources for research is required
• Field reporting or production experience at university or post-graduation desirable
• Prior research experience or experience as a newsroom assistant or AP desirable
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rnyoj3-3-236-209-138-42 in your application.