We are looking for a Managing Editor who will be responsible for our data and graphics storytelling globally and across all news verticals. The ME will lead a team of interdisciplinary journalists and partner with other desks across the digital newsroom to pitch and execute story ideas, from daily graphics to original data projects. This is a senior leadership position in the newsroom that will help set the news agenda, make sure we are serving our audience, and advocate for smart and innovative journalism. This role will report to the Executive Editor for Data and Visuals.
• Lead a global team of graphics/data journalists and editors
• In collaboration with your senior editors, direct coverage for data and graphics journalism across CNN Digital
• Pitch and assign coverage for daily, weekly, and enterprise news across all verticals, including original data stories, stand-alone graphics and maps, and special projects
• Evangelize and advocate for data and graphics-driven storytelling at CNN, including brown bags, presentations for senior leadership, and relationship building across a matrixed organization
• Partner with other desks to develop lines of reporting, gather data, and decide what stories to cover
• Partner with other Visuals teams to execute collaborative projects that use motion graphics, photography, illustration, custom formats, and more
• Collaborate with Visuals leadership to move our templating and tooling efforts forward, making sure we are working efficiently, consistently and spending our time on the highest value work
• Uphold and improve best practices for data and graphics-driven journalism at CNN Digital, including data visualizations, news graphics, interactive storytelling, and data standards
• 10+ years experience, ideally in a newsroom or similar environment
• Significant experience managing people, teams and/or projects
• Deep commitment and proven track record of developing an equitable and inclusive team culture
• A passion for journalism, impeccable news judgment, and ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment
• Significant experience with creative, visual-driven storytelling
• Varsity-level communication skills with experience collaborating across teams and building relationships in a complex organization
• Strong editing skills across various formats and platforms: text, data, visuals, interface design, cartography, etc.
• Lots of ideas about what would make our work more impactful, serve our audiences better, and how we can work more effectively
• A desire to push data and visual storytelling forward and the ability to think expansively about how we use our medium in the service of journalism. You put the journalism first and are always asking ''what's the best way to tell this story?''
• A sharp eye for visual storytelling in myriad forms, including a strong grasp of UX, typography, layout, color, motion, interaction design and accessibility
• Ability to share feedback in generative and constructive ways
• Ability to coach individual contributors and editors. You will need to set and communicate a clear vision for the team, and help your leadership team prioritize effectively and hone their own management/editing skills.
• Ability to handle complex projects, personalities, and logistics from start to finish
• Experience with analytics and tools for tracking engagement metrics
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-d81j6m-34-207-247-69-42 in your application.