CNN's Visuals team works across the entire digital organization to publish compelling photography, graphics, charts, maps, motion graphics, illustrations, and interactive presentations for our top stories, beats and projects.
The Executive Editor for Visuals will lead a team that plays across a spectrum of short and long-term projects, from a simple, engaging animated image for a breaking news story, to complex projects that weave together multiple forms and formats to tell an engaging story. This collaborative and creative thinker sees possibilities for visual work in the top stories of the day, and in the zeitgeist.
The Executive Editor for Visuals will manage a global team of about 40 talented visual journalists to proactively pitch and source ideas to make CNN's journalism more dynamic across all digital platforms, going beyond the article + video formula and into creative storytelling with images, data and motion that entices audiences in new ways. The Executive Editor for Visuals will report to the SVP, Editor-in-Chief, CNN Digital.
This leader has expertise with data, and innovative and visual uses of information that compliments stories and can serve as stories in their own right. This leader is audience obsessed. They focus their time and energy on the biggest impact stories that will reach the widest global audience.
• Integrity and Standards: Our commitment to clear and accurate storytelling is our top priority throughout CNN. The Visuals landscape, with uses of data, imagery and graphics has unique needs to address, and best practices to articulate and share.
• Audience focus: Relentlessly prioritize our audiences by using data, tools and partnerships to learn more about what resonates with our audiences, what doesn't, and to apply those insights daily to make our work stronger.
• Passion for Creative Storytelling: A love for shaping stories and an inclination to let the nature of the story itself guide the presentation. A commitment to every aspect of content creation, from conception to distribution, across platforms.
• Talent Development and Diversity: Attract, engage, and develop talent. Continue building a diverse, high-performing and inclusive team and culture
• Broad collaboration: The Visuals team gets to work across all CNN Digital teams, globally, and other key partners throughout all of CNN. The ability to be a true partner who can listen, prioritize, and give feedback across the org in ways that lift our ''Visuals IQ'' is key.
• Innovation: An enthusiasm for experimentation, testing and learning. A creative exploration of new ways of working and sharing stories in all forms.
• 10+ years of related experience
• College Degree or equivalent industry experience
• 3+ years of experience in leading an editorial/design teams, global preferably
• Strong news judgement
• Strong understanding of current our news & creative trends
• Passion for the news and ability to working a fact paced 24/7 new environment.
Atlanta or NY base preferred. This person will travel on average once a month, as s/he will manage journalists in 4-5 locations globally.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1yk0m-3-235-175-15-42 in your application.