CNN seeks an Editor, Polling and Election Analytics for the Political Unit department to report on public opinion and help conduct some of the most visible and valuable survey research in the news industry. The Editor, Polling and Election Analytics will work with the Polling Director to ensure that CNN's coverage of polls and surveys focuses on the most methodologically sound research available, and that surveys conducted for CNN are insightful, newsworthy and scientific.
• Work with the CNN polling director and other CNN journalists to develop, design and conduct timely, newsworthy survey research
• Guide CNN journalists in identifying methodologically rigorous research for their reporting and help them to describe and present it appropriately
• Analyze the results of polls from CNN and others, regularly pitching and writing sharp news stories on public opinion in America today
• Assist in the work of the CNN Decision Desk, supporting the team of statisticians and political scientists through rehearsals and Election Nights, and working with the TV and digital election production teams to ensure a smooth and accurate reporting of all results
• Use data from various sources to help CNN tell the stories of the public policy and cultural issues dominating the American political landscape, the country's elected leaders, and the driving forces in political campaigns and elections.
• Understanding of multiple methodological approaches to survey research, and interest in exploring innovative approaches to representative research
• Proven experience designing survey research projects and analyzing and reporting on the resulting data
• Interest in politics and elections a must, knowledge of election forecasting a plus
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including an ability to translate complex statistics for a general audience
• Close attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy
• Bachelor's degree plus 4-5 years experience in survey research or Master's degree in a related field (such as political science, sociology, psychology or statistics) required, PhD preferred
• Spanish proficiency preferred
• Experience with statistical software required, SPSS or R preferred
• Ability to work in a high-pressure, fast-paced environment