Editor, Features & Planning (CNN+)
CNN invented cable news in 1980, defined online news in 1995 and is now taking the next step in expanding what news can be by launching CNN+. With an unrivaled global reach, storytelling, and world class talent, we are building CNN+, a streaming product that will grow the reach and scope of the CNN brand in a way that no one else is doing.
We are journalists, designers and technologists, all united by a powerful mission to inform, engage and empower the world. Join the most trusted and recognized name in news as we build our next chapter.
The Editor is responsible for working under the guidance of the Director of Features and Planning to take responsibility for planning next day and future coverage partnering with teams across the CNN. This person is also critically involved in implementing those plans and communicating with bureaus and working to craft the best coverage for all CNN platforms.
• Editorial and Logistical Planning of Future Events: This person works with the Director of Planning on editorial and logistical planning for future events, working closely with regions and beats, shows and digital to balance expectations and fulfill needs of CNN networks. This person should also be able to creatively solve logistical problems and technical issues.
• Coverage planning in the aftermath of breaking news: Responding quickly to priorities to coordinate coverage desires to meet newsgathering needs, both live and in package form for all CNN platforms.
• Ensuring coverage plans are well defined and communicated: Detailed coverage notes are essential to the success of the person in this position. Communicating to teams internally and to the bureaus with daily coverage notes, updated planning and troop movements for future stories are critical. Working closely with News Operations, bureaus and beats, producers, and correspondents to assign future stories and travel are key. Communication throughout the day is also crucial to ensure a robust team coverage approach to many stories for all CNN platforms.
• Providing full support regarding essential coordination and logistical planning decisions in line with the coverage and programming priorities, as well as, ensuring coverage planning operates within budget constraints. Awareness of field safety issues and the wellbeing of the teams on assignment are a vital part of the PE responsibilities. Full knowledge of company policies and practices.
• Should have up to five years' experience in journalism, preferably in planning, producing, or coordinating teams at the assignment desk in a national newsroom
• College education strongly desired in areas of journalism
• Production experience (studio or programming)
• Multi-lingual fluency a plus
• Field producing or reporting experience for any media
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r0w608-34-204-180-223-42 in your application.