Every great story has a new beginning. We're excited to announce that Discovery and WarnerMedia have combined to become Warner Bros. Discovery. WBD is a premier global media and entertainment company offering audiences the world's most differentiated and complete portfolio of content, brands and franchises across television, film, sports, news, streaming and gaming. We're home to the world's best storytellers, creating world-class products for consumers. From brilliant creatives to technology trailblazers and beyond, join us as we step into the next chapter.
CNN Digital is the most powerful news brand on the internet, reaching millions of people across platforms and around the world every day. We are journalists, designers and technologists, all united by a powerful mission to inform, engage and empower the world. Join the most trusted and recognized name in news and be a part of a dynamic global team of smart, collaborative and thoughtful journalists doing essential work at a critical time.
See what it's like to work at CNN! Follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.
This data journalist will be responsible for leading and providing editorial oversight for data journalism efforts across platforms worldwide. The person in this role will collaborate with a team of data and graphics editors and journalists across the organization. This is a position where you will be expected to pitch and execute stories as well as collaborate with others to create high impact visual and data-driven journalism. The position is based in New York, DC, Los Angeles or Atlanta and reports to the Managing Editor for Data + Graphics.
• Recognize interesting datasets and stories and pitch them to the Data Graphics team.
• Pitch and build static and interactive data visualizations for news and enterprise stories.
• Report, write and edit data-driven news stories, from breaking news to long-term projects.
• Collaborate with newsroom section editors to help them use data in their stories (e.g., scope and conceptualize pitches; find, compile or analyze data sets; test hypotheses; identify patterns; add context; explain findings, etc.)
• Work with senior editorial leadership and newsroom partners to develop and establish standards and processes for CNN's data journalism efforts, including:
o Acquiring data sets (scraping, records requests, etc.);
o Storing data;
o Analyzing data;
o Visualizing data;
Open-sourcing data and analyses;
o How to use statistics and write about data and data methods in our reporting.
• Comfortable reporting and building graphics during breaking news with a strong sense of urgency.
• Review data, analyses, stories, visualizations and graphics to ensure they uphold rigorous standards and spot weaknesses.
• Develop and support newsroom tools that will promote data-driven work and innovative storytelling at CNN
• 3+ years of experience in a journalistic setting
• A desire to push storytelling forward and the ability to think clearly and creatively about how we use data in the service of journalism
• Experience with modern mapping tools (QGIS, MapBox, Maps4News, etc.)
• Ability to work with data to create/edit graphics, and significant experience using the relevant tools (R, Python, SQL, Excel, etc.)
• A reader-first perspective and strong commitment to multiplatform storytelling
• You're comfortable working collaboratively, individually and with cross-functional teams
• You are a varsity level communicator and feel as comfortable walking through a story pitch with editors as you do working closely with colleagues to edit data visualization
• You put journalism first, have impeccable news judgment, and are always asking ''what's the best way to tell this story?''
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at email@example.com.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gm8b2m-18-208-132-74-42 in your application.