Senior Editor, Weekends - Politics
Your New Role…
This editor is a best-in-class shaper and sharpener of stories and ideas and thrives on the breakneck pace of deadline journalism. CNN Politics editors are multi-skilled and talented in that they know how to edit as an editor and read as a reader. They can copy edit and catch mistakes big and small. They can curate and tag. They can SEO. They know what stories - in either text or video - should be linked up. They know when attribution is needed and when it's overkill. They know the difference between a first version digital story that is ''good enough to go'' and when to hold to get more - and when that line is unclear, they know to ask.
Your Role Accountabilities…
• Edit breaking news and features from CNN Politics and other journalists from throughout the organization and support our live story
• Serve as a second set of eyes on alerts or on key pieces that need a good comb-through and/or creative punch
• Assist with the live stories that are an essential part of our breaking news coverage.
• Write as needed - your byline may occasionally be seen solo or as a contributing writer
• Be an excellent communicator and diplomat - and an excellent provider of feedback who helps elevate CNN's storytelling across digital platforms
• Some days may be fast and furious with edits on a single, fast-flowing story. Others will include edits of a wide range of pieces in different forms and formats – a news feature, a newsletter, an opinion piece, a story from a correspondent in a war zone.
• And last but never least, this editor will serve as the final step before a story is distributed to millions of people worldwide. All CNN news editors work intently to make sure our stories are accurate and fair so that we continue to grow the trust between CNN and our audiences.
Qualifications & Experience…
• Willingness to work evenings or weekends
• Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
• Experience editing fast-moving breaking news
• A clear understanding of style and grammar
• Experience helping writers frame their stories for a national audience
• At least 4 years of editorial experience
• College degree or equivalent
How We Get Things Done…
This last bit is probably the most important! Here at WBD, our guiding principles are the core values by which we operate and are central to how we get things done. You can find them at www.wbd.com/guiding-principles/ along with some insights from the team on what they mean and how they show up in their day to day. We hope they resonate with you and look forward to discussing them during your interview.
The Legal Bits…
Warner Bros. Discovery embraces the opportunity to build a workforce that reflects the diversity of our society and the world around us. Being an equal opportunity employer means that we take seriously our responsibility to consider qualified candidates on the basis of merit, without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.
If you're a qualified candidate with a disability and you need a reasonable accommodation in order to apply for this position, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-gqz1n6-44-200-171-156-42 in your application.
We are the now and the next. The power behind the people building the future. We are born from the spirit of innovation. We are created from the idea that people around the world want more, need more, deserve more. We are the home of the global digital revolution. We are CNN.