WarnerMedia showcases some of the most iconic and cherished entertainment, news and sports brands in the world, but we are much more than that. WarnerMedia is truly where art meets science. Our combination of cutting-edge technology and an unrivaled commitment to groundbreaking storytelling builds a sense of community and meaningful connection that is shaping the future of media. We create rewarding opportunities across our entire family of brands, while championing a spirit of inclusion, innovation, self-development and support. Join WarnerMedia as we think big, live true and make the stories that move the world.
This journalist reports and writes national breaking news as a part of CNN Digital's National desk.
We're light, agile and obsessed with producing strong, accurate and timely journalism.
The Associate Writer will cover breaking news in real time and help reset each day's coverage with new articles on the most significant national stories for our morning audiences – from how the pandemic is impacting American life to the devastating toll of extreme weather events.
This person will also write distinctive features and other original work for CNN's digital platforms.
The position will be based in Los Angeles but will begin virtually. The shift begins in the afternoon and ends in the late evening.
• This person writes stories that are published and shared across CNN's mobile and desktop sites, apps, social accounts and other platforms.
• This journalist will often help shape story ideas and angles around complex topics and will pitch and execute stories on their own.
• When a big story breaks, this Associate Writer will take the lead in starting and updating the main story for all platforms, keeping us sharp and fast on breaking news.
• This person must be skilled at finding ways to cover the news of the day in distinctive ways that resonate with audiences.
• CNN's writers are skillful and swift. They turn in clean, crisp and conversational copy on the first draft.
• This person knows how to write briefly and breezily when needed but can also handle high-concept stories off the news.
• This person will also pitch ideas that support key storylines, themes or initiatives, or that otherwise dazzle.
• S/he knows how to write in formats that go beyond the traditional article - including visual stories; explanatory work that helps audiences understand the news; and real-time breaking news posts.
• All writers need to have a creative and competitive drive. S/he also follows best practices for SEO and tagging.
• In any given day, this person may be asked to work with CNN correspondents in the field; draft alerts; or write off CNN's air.
• Willingness to work nights: This is a full-time evening role, with a schedule that may keep you working past midnight.
• Ability to write clear, accurate news stories
• At least 1 year of digital storytelling experience
• Experience writing breaking news in real time, as a story unfolds
• Ability to frame stories for a national audience
• College degree or equivalent. Care deeply about accuracy, urgency and integrity and in maintaining and growing the trust CNN has with audiences worldwide.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-rn90bm-44-192-65-228-42 in your application.