CNBC.com, a leading source of news in finance, technology, health, transportation, retail and politics, is looking for a manager for its copy desk. Serving as the backbone of quality control for CNBC's coverage, the copy desk is a fast-paced, dynamic workspace for journalists who revere clarity, proper grammar and straightforward style. The Senior Copy Editor's duties include editing news coverage and directing a staff of three editors.
What you'll do:
• Copy edit breaking news coverage, coordinating with hustling reporters and editors to make fast, smart improvements as articles are developing.
• Copy edit enterprise news coverage, working with reporters and editors of varying experience to ensure that longer articles, investigative pieces and analysis work all get a close copy edit before publishing.
• Manage a small team of copy editors on somewhat staggered schedules, supporting their efforts to make CNBC's work the best it can be and, at times, helping them triage the river of copy.
What we'll offer:
At CNBC Headquarters in Englewood Cliffs, NJ, you'll have access to great perks and amenities:
• Sweat it out -- Free onsite fitness center with state-of-the-art equipment, basketball court and running course, plus daily group classes
• Eat up -- Gourmet cafeteria with daily specials plus soup and salad bars
• Unwind -- Massage therapy, ping pong tables, foosball
• Extras -- Dry cleaning, shoe shining and sneak peeks
Don't have a car? No problem! We offer free shuttle transportation to and from multiple locations in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Hoboken and Jersey City
When you join the NBCUniversal family, you'll get…
We're a global company that values our employee's individual experiences and wellbeing. We know that we're smarter, more dynamic and better together. That's why we offer benefits and perks to meet your unique needs. Read more about them on our careers site here. We invite you to seek the excitement, the challenges and the opportunities that make working here so rewarding.
What you'll bring:
At least 7 years of experience in journalism.
• A firm knowledge of AP style.
• Proficiency in business and finance news, and an ability to translate jargon to attract nonbusiness-oriented readers.
• The ability to maintain composure while working under pressure.
• The strength of conviction to diplomatically insist on an editing change when one is needed.
• Knowledge about legal issues such as libel and plagiarism.
You'll stand out if:
You have management experience.
• You possess master-level editing skills that will help make CNBC stories informative and compelling to readers.
• You're proactive and effective at problem-solving.
• You work with a sense of urgency but with care and thoroughness.
• You have a collegial approach in making changes to copy and in pointing out and fixing errors.
• You're able to mentor writers and editors with lesser or greater experience.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r7e8k8-3-236-55-22-42 in your application.