New York, NY
CBS 2 / WLNY-TV is seeking a strong newscast producer with major market experience and proven leadership skills. The ideal candidate will thrive on breaking news; has a strong understanding of social media and how to drive content to and from various social media platforms; has high journalistic standards and will bring fresh, innovative ideas to a vibrant newsroom. Ultimately, we are looking for a creative producer who understands how to present complex stories, use social media platforms to drive viewership to our broadcasts and serve a diverse audience.
• Produce 30 or 60 minute newscasts
• Responsible for story selection and editorial content of stories, requires an eye for stories that can be used in newscasts that have both a relevance to the viewer as well as an appeal to a larger social media audience.
• Time programs and segments with a good sense of pacing, energy and urgency.
• Must have the ability, understanding and forethought to use social media as a promotional platform to drive viewers to watch our news programs.
• Continuously gathering, evaluating, writing and assembling stories into newscast form in order to provide complete, accurate and compelling newscasts.
• Working with anchors, executive producers, reporters and editors in refining, graphically enhancing and adding production value to stories to produce the best possible newscast.
• Ability to update and create news posts for our social media pages keeping on top of trending news.
• Write newscast teases.
• Constantly monitor wires and feed sources for updated information.
• Respond aggressively to breaking news, and also updating our social media pages with video and written content to help drive viewership to our on-air produced newscasts.
• Position includes some news writing. Must be able to create compelling, succinct and clear news stories from raw material such as unedited video, reporter notes, telephone conversations and desk notes.
• Must be able to work overnights, weekends and holidays when necessary.
Candidate must have a minimum of 4 years of producing experience in a major market and at least 2 years of television news writing in a major market. Individual must be an excellent journalist, writer and leader willing to express and support his/her editorial ideas at editorial meetings. Must be a bold thinker. Must have control room experience with live breaking news coverage. Must also have experience writing news stories for broadcast.