CBS Chicago is looking for a multi-skilled, hard-working journalist with line producing experience to research, coordinate and plan ahead on stories, events, coverage and interviews for our morning day part on broadcast and stream. This planning producer should have a passion for Chicago issues, news, and culture and the ability to collaborate on daily coverage, breaking news as well as long-term planning. You understand the impact local journalism has in our own backyard in bringing to light diverse issues that are important to our viewers and neighborhood newsmakers.
What separates you from the crowd is your ownership and utilization of multiple skills. Not only is this a content planning position, you will also be producing, writing and editing much of the content you plan. Line producing is also important, as you will be asked to produce newscasts on a backfill basis. A strong and robust rolodex is necessary for success in this role. You will own the booking of newsmakers, experts and other guest for our slate of newscasts and streaming programs. If you love to collaborate with a great team of managers, anchors and producers to amplify content, then we are looking for you!
- Pitching segment ideas for guests that viewers will find compelling, unique, and interesting
- Conducting research and pre-interviews with guests, writing summary notes and questions interview prep, monitor production for accuracy and impact, and follow up with guests
- Booking guests for daily live-show deadlines
- Regularly working to collaborate with the managers and producers to streamline the booking process, prevent overlapping requests, and maximize audience reach
- Support the creation and management of a centralized booking system and database
- Exhibit strong news judgement, maintain standards and practices guidelines, and forecast editorial direction
- Support a culture of teamwork, collaboration, and a growth mindset
- Identify and pitch stories with high potential for compelling and comprehensive live video storytelling, including day-of-air, special and feature segments
- Work closely with the Executive Producer to plan and produce editorial content for newscasts.
- Must have solid news judgment and ability to support overall quality of the newscast with keen eye for detail, including spelling, fact checking, balance and fairness.
- Must be able to write and produce creative and factual news content that is compliant with news strategies. Strong tease and copy writing skills. Ability to order graphics.
- Must be able to manage live on air and in control room decision making. Knowledge of control room automation preferred.
- Must ensure daily show production deadlines are met
- Proficient desktop editing skills required. Screen and edit from both linear and non-linear services to select relevant and engaging pictures and sound.
- Proactively supporting a healthy newsroom culture with high performance and quality commitments
Preferred education, experience and certification requirements:
- Bachelor's degree preferred
- 3+ years of experience newscast line producing
- Experience editing video for broadcast
- Strong network of connections with experts, newsmakers and their representatives
- Experience in all areas of TV production, including familiarity with control room operations, booking, field producing
- Build and maintain strong professional relationships
- Demonstrate strong editorial judgment as well as the ability to multitask, prioritize projects, stay calm under pressure and respond constructively to feedback
- Familiarity with Chicago area, desirable
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-r1wj2v-44-200-168-16-42 in your application.