CBS Television Stations
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
CBS 2 Chicago is in search of its next innovative visual storyteller. Ideal candidate will have an expert understanding of NPPA style principles, a keen eye and ear for detail, with a demonstrated body of work experience. To cover news events and stories as a photojournalist for CBS 2 newscasts and local programming. Will support multi-platform social media strategies and cbschicago.com. Field duties include but not limited to professional operation of broadcast cameras, drones, digital microwave and satellite ENG vehicles, non-linear editing systems, and IP based broadcast applications.
• Candidates should demonstrate knowledge and experience with all aspects of ENG news coverage, including Sony HD cameras, Edius non-linear editing, ENG lighting, microwave and satellite transmissions. Edit news stories under deadline pressure, while maintaining editorial integrity.
• Operate microwave and/or KU trucks
• Safely operating company vehicles, including microwave equipped vans and trucks, on potentially long drives in all weather conditions.
• Bring creativity and imagination to the job of broadcast storytelling
• Ensure that all daily show production deadlines are met
• Take extreme care to ensure that news equipment is protected from theft and damage.
• Consistently contribute to editorial process in team environment with story ideas and attention to production strategy.
• Other duties, as assigned.
• Results-Oriented and Innovative
• Excellent storytelling skills
• Ability to work under deadline pressure
REQUIREMENTS OF CBS 2 NEWS PHOTOGRAPHERS
• Capable of potentially lengthy, physically and emotionally stressful assignments in the field. The unpredictable nature of news assignments often requires extending scheduled shifts on short notice.
• Physical ability to carry and manipulate at least 75lbs of gear, set up and breakdown broadcast production equipment, usually alone, and on tight deadlines. Activities include driving and positioning large, microwave equipped vans; operating and orienting retractable antenna masts within strict safety guidelines; executing long cable runs of perhaps several hundred feet; carrying, setting up and operating tripods, video cameras and batteries.
• Capable of driving company vehicles in all conditions and on potentially long (3 to 4 hour) drives to and from assignments.
• Flexibility regarding assigned work schedule, including the potential of regular shifts that involve weekends and/or late nights and/or overnights.
• Consistent ability to communicate reliably and credibly, especially about information related to safety issues in the field. Reliably communicate details associated with editorial content of stories and logistical information associated with production deadlines. The ability to gather important information at various news locations.
• Ability to deal with complex logistical situations in the field including the ability to compete for position with other news media, cope with interference from the public and inter-act with third-parties such as fire, police and security personnel.
• Consistent ability to interact with the co-workers and the public in a calm and professional manner.
• Candidate can adapt to writing content for air. Will contribute to social media strategies and multimedia journalism.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
• Five years' experience as a photographer and editor, preferably in a top 20 market.
• Bachelor's degree in journalism or similar field.
• Familiarity with Chicago area, desirable
• Strong non-linear editing background, including Edius
• Valid Illinois drivers license
• SNG experience with DOT certification a plus
• Drone ENG experience with FAA Part 107 certification a plus
• Strong computer skills
*Must submit a link to the video reel along with the resume**