If you're an expert data journalist who is skilled at finding engaging content that would otherwise be unseen or ignored, we want your help crafting data-driven stories. CBS COLORADO is seeking a Data Journalist to generate content and support the station's effort to produce unique, in-depth and investigative pieces that no one else is reporting in Denver. The Data Journalist's primary focus will be acquiring and analyzing data sets to identify and generate original content of importance and impact in our community. Also, to collaborate with our newsroom on breaking news as well as our top stories, to evolve the work of fellow journalists, and to produce unique and compelling data-visualizations and storytelling for all of our platforms.
• Ideate, research and craft data-driven content with frequency and impact for the newscasts, specials, streams, websites and apps.
• Acquire, analyze and visualize data sets for on-air and online reporting, including summarizing findings, writing narratives, and crafting graphic elements and interactives.
• Perform extensive, accurate and efficient computer-assisted analysis using current software, techniques and statistical tools.
• Understand, interpret and simplify complicated information, and collaborate with journalists to produce impactful reporting and storytelling.
• Collaborate with and support the work of reporters, producers, graphic designers and website developers to bring content to publication.
• Advise others and lead editorially on data projects as well as oversee the data work of colleagues as needed.
• Efficiently enhance newsgathering and investigative tactics to acquire information and story elements, such as developing relationships, growing sources, strategically landing interviews, and navigating open records laws.
• Solicit and vet tips and story ideas to recognize and prioritize original, timely and topical data-driven content with broad value to the audience.
• Urgently develop and implement data-driven angles to elevate breaking news and top story coverage.
• Work closely with management, journalists and legal counsel in creating accurate, well-documented, bulletproof content.
• Communicate frequently and optimally with respect and candor, and maintain highly engaging, productive working environments and relationships with management and news personnel. Represent company expertly at all times in public interactions.
• Must be willing to work an unpredictable schedule as assigned.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
• Portfolio required demonstrating visualization and integration of data, combined with compelling, creative writing and design, which results in high-impact, high-caliber storytelling. Experience producing multiplatform content preferred.
• Data analysis skills required, preferably using Python or R. Basic knowledge of GIS and ability to query SQL databases preferred. Must have skills to assess the reliability of datasets from various sources and clean messy data.
• CMS skills required, plus experience with platforms such as Datawrapper or Flourish. Ability to create data visualizations using D3 or other charting libraries preferred.
• Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills required.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g666n0-18-207-240-77-42 in your application.