If you're an expert data journalist who thrives on finding stories that would otherwise be unseen or ignored, we want your help crafting and breaking data-driven stories. WJZ-TV in Baltimore is seeking a Data Journalist to generate content and support the station's effort to produce phenomenal, in-depth and investigative stories no one else is reporting. The Data Journalist's primary focus will be acquiring and analyzing data sets to identify and generate original stories of and impact in our community. You will collaborate with our newsroom on breaking news as well as our top stories, to improve the work of fellow journalists, and produce phenomenal and compelling data-visualizations and storytelling for all of our platforms.
• Generate ideas, research and build data-driven stories with steady frequency and impact for the newscasts, specials, streams, websites and apps.
• Acquire, analyze and visualize data sets for on-air and online reporting, including summarizing findings, writing narratives, and crafting graphic elements and interactives.
• Perform exhaustive, accurate and efficient computer-assisted analysis using current software, techniques and statistical tools.
• Understand, interpret and simplify complicated information, and collaborate with journalists to produce impactful reporting and storytelling.
• Collaborate with and support the work of reporters, producers, graphic designers and website developers to bring stories to publication.
• Advise others and lead editorially on data projects as well as coordinate the data work of colleagues as needed.
• Efficiently increase newsgathering and investigative tactics to acquire information and story elements, such as developing relationships, encouraging sources, strategically landing interviews, and navigating open records laws.
• Solicit and vet tips and story ideas to identify and prioritize original, timely and topical data-driven stories with broad value to the audience.
• Urgently develop and implement data-driven angles to elevate breaking news and top story coverage.
• Work closely with management, journalists and legal counsel in crafting accurate, well-documented, bulletproof stories.
• Communicate frequently and effectively with respect and candor, and maintain highly collaborative, productive working environments and relationships with management and news personnel. Represent company professionally at all times in public interactions.
• Must be willing to work an unpredictable and flexible schedule as assigned.
• 2+ years' experience as a data journalist
• Portfolio demonstrating visualization and integration of data, combined with compelling, creative writing and design, which results in high-impact, high-caliber storytelling.
• CMS skills
• Experience with platforms such as Datawrapper or Flourish.
• Journalism Degree preferred
• Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills
• Experience producing multiplatform content preferred.
• Data analysis skills required, preferably using Python or R. Basic knowledge of GIS and ability to query SQL databases preferred.
• Must have skills to assess the reliability of datasets from various sources and clean messy data.
• Ability to build data visualizations using D3 or other charting libraries preferred.
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g4en27-3-236-209-138-42 in your application.