CBS 62 (WWJ-TV) and CW50 (WKBD-TV), the CBS News and Stations owned & operated in the #15 television market Detroit, is seeking a highly driven Assignment Editor that thrives on beating the competition and getting the story not just first but right. Your demeanor is naturally geared towards pursuing smart, relevant, breaking news, while maintaining the utmost professionalism. Come bring your talents and join our growing CBS Detroit News Team.
• The Assignment Editor will work with Reporters, Producers, and the Digital team on daily news coverage. We welcome a candidate who is firm and proficient in handling crews, breaking news stories and timely news content within broadcast and digital. Additionally, you should be able to effectively develop issue-oriented enterprise stories with an emphasis on key topics that accrue to our brand.
• Ideate and develop relevant story ideas with an emphasis on the community which we serve. As well, operate as a valued ambassador with external partners by establishing relationships and contacts within law enforcement, fire departments, local government and community organizations to stay updated on current events.
• Monitor multiple platforms for news tips and maintain updated files for ongoing stories. Collaboration with Producers and Field Journalists is paramount.
• Meet deadlines in high stress breaking news situations
Preferred Education, Experience, and Certification Requirements:
• BA degree in Journalism preferred
• 2+ years of experience in the newsroom preferred
• Strong news and editorial judgment, organizational and planning skills
• Strong tech skills
• Familiarity with AVID Automation and non-linear editing
• Must have ability to write and contribute content for digital and broadcast platforms
• Possess the ability to respond quickly, calmly, and expertly to deadlines, changing circumstances and breaking news; must be able to quickly prioritize and make decisions requiring critical thinking and independent judgment
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g32394-3-238-199-4-42 in your application.