The Emmy and Critics' Choice Award-nominated STEPHEN COLBERT PRESENTS TOONING OUT THE NEWS is a first-of-its-kind original series that features a cast of animated news anchors and analysts lampooning top news stories and interviewing real-world guests.
CBS Studios weekly animated variety series STEPHEN COLBERT PRESENTS TOONING OUT THE NEWS seeks researchers with digital news, print media, or network/cable news backgrounds. Comedy experience is a plus, but far from required. This is currently a remote position, but a New York based candidate is preferred.
Applicants should have a strong handle on politics - elections, issues, policies, campaigns, and media - and Washington power players from the White House to K Street. The ideal candidate is comfortable using SnapStream, digging through FEC reports and 990s of charitable foundations, as well as calling Congressional offices or outside experts to further original reporting. Must be comfortable in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines and have a skill for identifying hypocrisy, illogical arguments, and magical thinking deployed by newsmakers on both sides of the aisle.
• Provide the writers with a daily summary and digested account of top stories.
• Prepare guest research packets for daily guests.
• Research and work with an editor to prepare news footage for daily show.
• Conduct deep dives into long-lead stories.
• Fact check daily scripts and records.
• Work with field and digital departments to research and fact check segments.
• Undergraduate degree or equivalent work experience required.
• Strong working knowledge of national politics and an ability to find and report breaking news.
• Strong editorial judgment as to what stories work for our audience and which facts/details are relevant to our show.
• Experience in research for a news outlet or similar platform.
• Interest in all genre of news - political, entertainment/pop culture, domestic, international.
• At least two years of television production, journalism, academic research or equivalent.
• Experience with Snapstream and other video sources.
• Comfortable digging through FEC reports and 990s of charitable foundations.
• Comfortable calling Congressional offices or outside experts to further original reporting.
• Acute attention to detail.
• Must be comfortable in a fast-paced environment under tight deadlines.
Jobcode: Reference SBJ-g34em9-44-192-65-228-42 in your application.